Why are we afraid of things we have never tried?

Mark

Mark

Looking back I would say that the vast majority of my phobia and anxiety issues revolve around things I am afraid of but I have never even tried! I don't like snakes, I have never touched one, I detest bees and wasps yet I don't think I have ever been stung by one (well not yet!).

It did occur to me that the vast majority of us are afraid of things which we have never really experienced?

J

Jade

This could be down to fear of the unknown I suppose.We may be afraid because we don’t know what to expect. It could also be a second hand phobia we have developed from the people around us or of TV programmes, films or the reports we hear in the news. With my food phobias its strange because they are things I’ve never even tried eating. I try very hard to think where the phobia of a certain type of food has developed from but I cannot pinpoint it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might identify this?

Craig

Craig

Being afraid is one thing, being phobic is another.

Fear of the unknown is experienced by everyone. Yet the only difference is what we do with those thoughts. Many people tell themselves certain things. ' that wasp could sting me ' " That dog could bite me " " what if I climb up and something happens ".

Thus in turn, the feelings that accompany anxiety develop even though we have never even experienced it. It still produces the physiological reactions and that is what makes it ' feel real '. Our mind is an amazingly powerful thing and I wonder what would happen if we changed what it is that we say to ourselves.?

Craig.

Andy

Andy

The examples given by Mark are more anticipatory fears than phobias.

Familiarity helps breed confidence, so non familiarity brings non confidence.

Caution of strange, new experiences is instinctual, you've not got an exact model of what may happen, and so will "proceed with caution" whilst applying your nearest similar model, either learnt from past experience or from "second hand".

Andy

Andy

Instead of beating ourselves up for having fears, let's not forget that without that "what if" we'd never have lasted however many millenia as a species

Craig

Craig

I personally like mine in place, it keeps me observant, aware of what is going on around me. The only difference is that I do not take on all of the negative self talk so that it becomes a problem. One thing we can do is control it and recognise what is happening and a big part of that is the knowledge of why and how and what we can do about it.

Craig.

Andy

Andy

Precisely, remove the fear entirely and you become a potential candidate for a Darwin award

Mark

Mark

So in theory we should not see fear as a bad thing, more of a natural defensive mechanism?

Craig

Craig

Context dependant of course. It is there to help protect you. Yet we also have the ability to judge situations. If it is not life threatening then we have the ability to recognise that and just move forward. Our mind helps us create more fear and anxiety than anything else, people worry about things they have never done, or even just random thoughts.

Take a moment, wonder if it is needed. No.? Take a deep breath or 3 and carry on. Realising it was not needed. Stop telling yourself the bad things in the way in which it scares you, control that inner voice which prompts the fear.

Craig.

Mark

Mark

I will give you a perfect example, just after the height of my phobia/anxiety issues I woke up one day with nothing to worry about, nothing whatsoever on my mind but I then began to worry because I had nothing to worry about - does that make sense? The mind is a very powerful thing!

Craig

Craig

You essentially gave yourself something to worry about. I wonder what would have happened if you would have just relaxed, focussed on something you enjoyed and got absorbed in. If people give themselves something to worry about, they become anxious. Why do that when if there is nothing there to worry about. You could go about your day and do what it is you truly enjoy.? Just a thought.

Craig.

Andy

Andy

A healthy level of fear is good, too little and that bear you've just walked up to in order to get a better picture has just mauled you, too much fear and you'll never leave your house.

Yet worrying about bears as an example, when you live in a country where there are no wild bears, and having no intention to go somewhere where they roam freely, is unhealthy imho.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I read that article from a link on one of your other posts - makes for very interesting reading and I can relate to a lot of that, especially the poor sleeping habits!

L

LynnyB

Is this similar to flight or flight - we either address something or we run?

G

Getting_There

Is fight of flight not a defensive mechanism when under attack? I may be wrong.

F

Fightingback

Human nature? Self preservation?

On a similar note, what makes us try new foods?