Walking and Dizziness

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I don't know if anyone on here experiences this too, but walking for me has become a real mind field of a task. Regularly I find myself going through bouts of utter panic and rigidness when i'm walking - over analyzing the situation making both my mental and physical symptoms even worse. I would be very greatful for any advice you may have, as my headphone crutch no longer seems to help.

J

Jade

I don't know if anyone on here experiences this too, but walking for me has become a real mind field of a task. Regularly I find myself going through bouts of utter panic and rigidness when i'm walking - over analyzing the situation making both my mental and physical symptoms even worse. I would be very greatful for any advice you may have, as my headphone crutch no longer seems to help.
Hi ghost sorry to hear this, what you are experiencing is anxiety dizziness. The first thing to remember is that this dizziness is unpleasant but it’s not dangerous. There are two things I can suggest you try. First of all get your breathing under control . Slow your breathing down because trying too hard to breath through an anxiety attack it can contribute to dizziness and lack of balance. You could also try and focus on a certain spot ahead of you when you are walking. Apparently ballet dancers do this to gain control when they get dizzy from spinning. I hope this helps. Of course you should also rule out other health problems that could be causing your dizziness such as dehydration or low blood pressure.
Hope these tips are helpful to you

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Hi ghost sorry to hear this, what you are experiencing is anxiety dizziness. The first thing to remember is that this dizziness is unpleasant but it’s not dangerous. There are two things I can suggest you try. First of all get your breathing under control . Slow your breathing down because trying too hard to breath through an anxiety attack it can contribute to dizziness and lack of balance. You could also try and focus on a certain spot ahead of you when you are walking. Apparently ballet dancers do this to gain control when they get dizzy from spinning. I hope this helps. Of course you should also rule out other health problems that could be causing your dizziness such as dehydration or low blood pressure.
Hope these tips are helpful to you
Thanks for the advice Jade, this is definitely one of my biggest hang ups that I find distressing to say the least. I'm starting to drink a lot more water these days to see if it will make a difference as well as eating healthier. Getting my breathing under control is also something I really need to do, but my mind is often flooded by a stream chaotic thoughts; not to mention the feeling over-stimulation by what's going around me.

J

Jade

Your more than welcome Ghost. I know its difficult when your mind is preoccupied and you can’t always focus on getting a stable breathing pattern but with a little practice getting into this breathing routine will hopefully get a little easier. Do let me know how you get on with your dizziness and it’s great to hear your making healthier life changes. Did you read my thread about vitamins and anxiety? Have a little read you may find its worth trying to incorporate these vitamins into your diet. Best of luck :)

http://phobiasupportforum.com/forum/threads/vitamins-to-help-with-anxiety.100/

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Your more than welcome Ghost. I know its difficult when your mind is preoccupied and you can’t always focus on getting a stable breathing pattern but with a little practice getting into this breathing routine will hopefully get a little easier. Do let me know how you get on with your dizziness and it’s great to hear your making healthier life changes. Did you read my thread about vitamins and anxiety? Have a little read you may find its worth trying to incorporate these vitamins into your diet. Best of luck :)

http://phobiasupportforum.com/forum/threads/vitamins-to-help-with-anxiety.100/
That's a good shout, thanks Jade. I've started drinking more water and eating healthier foods recently, but I hadn't thought about specific vitamins so this will be a very useful read.

J

Jade

That's a good shout, thanks Jade. I've started drinking more water and eating healthier foods recently, but I hadn't thought about specific vitamins so this will be a very useful read.
Your welcome Ghost. Trying to increase certain vitamins in the body is something that is important to an all round healthy body but if this can make even the smallest difference to anxiety it’s certainly worth a try. I think there is some truth to it because think how much better we feel when we start to eat healthier, we feel better within ourselves and our body.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I think exercising patience (as well exercising in general) is something I need to do, because realistic I know there isn't a quick fix. Hopefully by sorting out my diet things will start to fall into place.

J

Jade

I think exercising patience (as well exercising in general) is something I need to do, because realistic I know there isn't a quick fix. Hopefully by sorting out my diet things will start to fall into place.
I think it’s human instinct to desire a quick fix to things but as you said this isn’t always realistic. A step no matter how small is still a step on the way to positive change.