Vitamins to help with anxiety

J

Jade

I’m always looking for ways to help me cope with my anxiety and phobias and I’ve just found some very interesting information. If we are lacking certain vitamins in our bodies this can lead to an increase in anxiety.
Vitamin B - A lack of vitamin B in the body can cause nervousness and insomnia because vitamin B is important in maintaining a healthy nervous system
Magnesium- Magnesium is needed for muscle relaxation. A magnesium deficiency can cause agitation, anxiety and restlessness.
Calcium- A calcium deficiency can result in agitation, depression, heart palpitations, insomnia and irritability.

Obviously your not going to be miraculously cured of anxiety if you take these vitamins because there is so many more factors to anxiety but giving it a go wouldn’t hurt and will definitely do more good than harm even if it just contributes to keeping your body healthy.

J

Jade

I found this brilliant list on www.bettervitamin.com

The B vitamins for anxiety include the following:
B1 (thiamine)
Improves mood and memory

B3 (niacin)
Helps produce serotonin, a neurotransmitter needed for mental stability

B5 (pantothenic acid)
Helps maintain the balance of neurotransmitters

B6 (pyridoxine)
Reduces symptoms of anxiety

B9 (folic acid)
Also helps keep the neurotransmitters in balance

B12 (cyanocobalamin)
Prevents symptoms of mania and psychosis, fatigue, memory impairment, irritability, depression and personality changes.

The B vitamins work best taken all together. If consumed in a non-synthetic B-complex pill, they should be taken with meals to aid absorption. B vitamins are water soluble, so overdosing usually isn’t a problem. Food sources for the B vitamins include green peas, beans, fish, poultry, cereal, and meat.

Vitamin C
Next on the list of vitamins for anxiety is vitamin C, which helps us cope with stress and in large doses, produces a calming effect. Healthy people can take 1000 mg vitamin C in a time release form. It can be found in cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce, peas, lemons, grapefruit, and oranges, which should be eaten raw.

Vitamin E
The final anxiety-relieving vitamin is vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps bring oxygen to the brain. Vitamin E is found in cabbage, lettuce, and some oils as well as in nuts.

Minerals
Of the minerals for anxiety, calcium and magnesium are the most potent. Magnesium is well-known to relieve anxiety and tension as well as muscle spasms and nervousness. Calcium is a natural tranquilizer.

Other supplements or preparations for anxiety can also be effective.
Valerian
increases the availability of beneficial chemicals in the brain, and may be as effective as some prescription medications for treating anxiety.

Passionflower
A folk remedy, is one of the oldest natural treatments for anxiety.

Melatonin
A naturally-found hormone good for jet lag or time-shift changes, adjusts the body’s clock and reduces anxiety as well.

Chamomile
Is another herbal remedy helpful for anxiety.

Green tea
Contains L-theanine which calms the nervous system.

Omega-3 fatty acids
Also reduce anxiety, perhaps by regulating chemical messengers in the brain.

Essential oils
Of sandalwood, nerolis, rose, bergamot, ylang-ylang, jasmine, geranium, and lavender have been shown to reduce anxious feelings.

J

Jade

Sorry for the double post but I’m quite excited about my decision. I’ve decided next week I’m going to get myself down to the health shop and stock up on vitamins that could help me with my anxiety. I’ll keep you updated as the weeks go by and let you know if I find its helped take the edge of my anxiety. I’m not expecting miracles but it’s certainly worth a try.

IMPORTANT-If your going to try out any of these vitamins speak to your doctor first if your taking any other medication because I’m not sure if these vitamins can effect certain medications.
I know you should definitely stay away from St Johns wart because this supplement is very dangerous if taken with certain medication.