Think of your children, family and friends

L

LynnyB

If you are suffering from a phobia reaction I often find it useful to think of influential people in your life such as your children, family or friends. This association with people who make you feel "comfortable" can help you to relax and reduce your levels of anxiety which are closely associated with phobias. Sometimes these levels may drop to a point where you can "gain control again" and bury your phobia until the next time.

H

Helprequired

The key to beating, or should we say controlling, your phobias is to take the focus away from the fear and your physical/mental reaction. If you can do this by thinking of your family and friends, then great, or if you have another method we would be interested to hear this as well.

L

LynnyB

The best way to tackle phobias is to "regain control" and by taking yourself to another place this allows you to reduce your heart rate which then helps with anxiety. Once you "learn" to control phobias I'm not suggesting it will be easy but it does get easier. There is also a significant satisfaction in regaining control of not on your phobia but for many people their lives.

G

Getting_There

I am not 100% sure about this technique - what happenes when the power of this wears off, what do you do next? Surely we need to be challenging our phobias face on rather than finding coping mechanisms?