Phobias & Childhood/Parents

Alice Ellis

Alice Ellis

I have been wondering recently just how common it must be for phobias to be linked to the behaviour and actions of parents during childhood.

For example, I am now (after several years of giving this some serious consideration) sure that most (if not all) of my phobias originated with my mother. I have anxieties relating to dogs/cows/horses/death/flying and throughout my child (wonderful woman that she was),she constantly told me 'don't touch that, don't do that, don't get too close' or any one of a number of terrible things would happen to me.

The things is, my phobias are not linked to any past experience or trauma (never been bitten by a dog, chased by a cow, experienced serious turbulence, fallen in deep water, etc) - they are all just things my mother was so desperate to protect me from that she actually ended up causing them be to become inextricably linked with mortal danger in my eyes.

Now, I cross the road if I see a stranger with a dog approaching. I cannot swim. I avoid any animal larger than a cat (even sheep make me nervous) and I get extremely anxious every time that I fly.

I feel no anger or resentment towards my mother (she died when I was a teenager),but I do wish that I could have had a chance to explain to her what impact her own intense fear of the world has had on her child.

The good thing to come out of this though is the fact that I understand my anxieties in a way that I don't think she ever understood hers, and for that reason I am going to do my best to allow any children that I have to be bold and courageous and tough, to make sensible decisions, but to ultimately think of themselves as fearless.

Has anybody else ever looked back on a parent/loved one and realised that they might have been phobic but never realised it? Or come to terms with the fact that a phobia may have sprung from a parent?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

That's a really interesting story thanks for sharing by the way. It's widely believed that children are very perceptive even at very young age - capable of interpreting or absorbing even the most subtle of behaviors. I believe my anxiety is partially genetic and part learnt behaviour, which leads me to believe that there is a genuine link. On surface I would've never have guessed my mum had social anxiety because she hid very well, and it wasn't until I told her I had it that I found out that she struggled with it as well.

J

Jade

That’s a great observation Alice, and think this is where a lot of phobias can stem from. I think phobias are something that can be influenced by those around you during childhood. For example most of my family have can’t have their food touched by other people.When we went to celebrations they could never eat from the buffet because they didn’t like the idea of other people putting their hands over the food that they would eat after. That’s one of my phobias now that I have had that since a child, I can’t eat from a buffet unless its only my close family and friends sharing it with me. This isn’t a huge issue for me as I just avoid these situations but it is interesting to see the connection with it.