my current situation with Emetophobia

L

lara1234

Hi I am Lara. I have a massive phobia of throwing up and have been awaiting some help for a while now. I have kinda always been scared of throwing up but I've never been as bad as I am today. I find myself having panic attacks every night about throwing up and I get nauseous when I am anxious which gives me even more reason to think I am going to throw up. currently I'm in a house full of sickness and has made me feel even more vulnerable. As a young child I was always scared of it but this phobia was just labelled a 'oh you'll get over it its just a phase' but I learned that over time it never really got better. After having just recently being sick for the first time in four years, it wasn't a surprise that my anxiety would rise again but I never thought it would get this bad. even everyday tasks become exhausting and a lack of sleep is what I am also struggling with. Emetophobia is defiantly gonna be my number 1 enemy but I am signing up for therapy to hopefully get some help. I came on this forum to help not only myself but other people to not feel alone and make sure that no one feels alone. i've spent many years feeling like I was the only one but after doing some research I have realised I'm not alone at all and it was time to reach out. If you are struggling with Emetophobia you are not alone and please contact me if you ever want to chat about your worries or struggles about sickness phobia as I would be more than happy to help you as it would help me as well and I can also explain with a bit more detail. thanks so much. lara :)

Anxietysufferer

Anxietysufferer

Hi Lara,

Firstly, I want to commend you for your courage in speaking out about your struggle with emetophobia. It's a big step to open up about such a personal fear, and your willingness to share your experience and offer support to others is truly admirable.

It sounds like you've been dealing with this phobia for quite some time, and it's important to recognize that what you're going through is a valid and challenging experience. The cycle of anxiety leading to nausea, which in turn fuels more anxiety, can be incredibly distressing. It's also quite understandable that being in a house with sickness would exacerbate these feelings.

Your decision to seek therapy is a positive and proactive step. Therapy can provide you with tailored strategies to manage and possibly overcome your phobia. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT),in particular, has shown effectiveness in treating specific phobias like emetophobia. It helps by changing the thought patterns that contribute to the fear and teaching coping mechanisms to deal with the anxiety.

In the meantime, here are a few suggestions that might help:
  1. Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Practices like deep breathing, meditation, or progressive muscle relaxation can help manage anxiety in the moment.
  2. Support Network: Keep connecting with others who understand what you're going through, whether it's through forums, support groups, or friends and family. As you've rightly said, knowing you're not alone can be incredibly comforting.
  3. Self-Care: Ensure you're taking care of your physical health – adequate sleep, nutritious food, and some form of physical activity can positively impact your mental health.
  4. Journaling: Writing down your thoughts and feelings can sometimes help in understanding and processing your emotions better.
Your initiative to reach out and help others while seeking help for yourself is inspiring. Remember, recovery is a journey, and it's okay to have setbacks along the way. Each small step you take is progress, and with professional support and personal resilience, you can navigate this challenge.
Thank you for sharing your story, Lara.

Your openness is not only a step forward in your own journey but also a beacon of hope for others facing similar struggles.