Music therapy

J

Jade

I was commenting on a post this morning and I mentioned music as a way to distract yourself from social anxiety and it got me thinking whether this is an available treatment so I did a little research online into music therapy. Apparently music therapy can help with a number of things including phobias! I’d like to give this a go and I think a lot of you may be interested in this because most people enjoy music. I’ll paste this link to a brief bit of information on this-
http://www.fearfreeflying.co.uk/musictherapytotreatphobias.html

Please let me know if you have tried this or would fancy giving it a go.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I'd say definitely give it a try. What I discovered was when I listened to music I was familiar with, I'd sink into a sort music-induced depression because those songs resonated with me on a emotional level. So I opted for classical music. I found it much more therapeutic and less intrusive in regards to there being no lyrics. If that makes any sense.

Mark

Mark

I think it will be different for different people - when I feel a panic/phobia attack coming on I like peace and quiet so that I can concentrate and relax. It may well be that others prefer to drift away into the music and that is a way of distracting their mind. We are all different but certainly a very interesting subject to discuss.

J

Jade

I'd say definitely give it a try. What I discovered was when I listened to music I was familiar with, I'd sink into a sort music-induced depression because those songs resonated with me on a emotional level. So I opted for classical music. I found it much more therapeutic and less intrusive in regards to there being no lyrics. If that makes any sense.
I agree with that Ghost because music or particular songs can have a connection or meaning for a lot of people. I think it would be a matter of personal preference because as you say you listen to classical music and its great that works for you but then I know someone who gets quite depressed when listening to classical music. Its finding what works for you really. I like to listen to nature sounds like a running stream or rain falling when I can’t sleep sometimes, that really helps to relax me.

J

Jade

I think it will be different for different people - when I feel a panic/phobia attack coming on I like peace and quiet so that I can concentrate and relax. It may well be that others prefer to drift away into the music and that is a way of distracting their mind. We are all different but certainly a very interesting subject to discuss.
Yes I agree Mark it is different for a lot of people but I think it’s an option for those that think they will be able to benefit from this type of therapy. You say you like quiet and relaxation so just out of interest do you have a particular method to get yourself relaxed? I’m always grateful to hear extra relaxation techniques as I do struggle with getting relaxed and shutting my mind off which is also a big pain especially when I’m trying to get myself to sleep. Thanks in advance :)