MDMA / LSD - Assisted Therapy

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Over recent months numerous articles have published articles relating to MDMA and LSD - assisted therapy. At this stage, ongoing studies are being carried out to see whether the use of these drugs (in a controlled way) could help heal the psychological and emotional damage caused by sexual assault, war, violent crime, and other traumas.

It is my personally belief that every avenue should be properly checked and no door should be closed in the fight against ill-mental health. What do you think?

J

Jade

I agree we should try and explore many ways to help get our phobias and anxiety under control however I’m a little skeptical about this method. It is something that would worry me because of all the horror stories you hear about these kind of drugs and the bad effects they have on the brain. I can’t really see how this would be useful because drugs are supposed to cause mental health problems and some can bring on anxiety and paranoia.I’m speculating of course because I’m not a scientist and who knows it could work.It is in a controlled environment and your being monitored by processionals that have obviously done the appropriate research so surely couldn't be harmful. It may be something I would consider but as a last resort.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I agree we should try and explore many ways to help get our phobias and anxiety under control however I’m a little skeptical about this method. It is something that would worry me because of all the horror stories you hear about these kind of drugs and the bad effects they have on the brain. I can’t really see how this would be useful because drugs are supposed to cause mental health problems and some can bring on anxiety and paranoia.I’m speculating of course because I’m not a scientist and who knows it could work.It is in a controlled environment and your being monitored by processionals that have obviously done the appropriate research so surely couldn't be harmful. It may be something I would consider but as a last resort.
I can totally understand your scepticism Jade, but a lot of these horror stories you hear about have either been misconstrued or wildly blown out of proportion. I wouldn't class myself as a drug advocate by any means; because it's clear just how damaging some of these drugs really are. But I will say that drugs of this nature can be used for good if applied properly and within the right setting.

J

Jade

I can understand how this would help. If drugs do alter the brain as they are supposed to then I imagine if this was applied positively in a controlled environment it probably would be effective. But as I said it would be a last resort for me, I’d sooner go on medication prescribed by the doctor together with intense councilling. It is an interesting subject though do you think it will be seen favorably by the public or other medical professionals or not?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

The general response from medically professionals has been a mixed one I believe. Professor David Nutt has been the most prominent medical figure in the campaign for this type of therapy. From what I have seen, the public response as been rather positive but I guess it depends on where you look and who you ask.

J

Jade

I’m quite surprised it has had a positive response to be honest because so many members of the public are anti-drug. As I said I’m really not sure about it myself I’ve known people to take LSD and then have a bad ‘ comedown’ that has set their nerves on edge.

In my opinion any positive effects experienced as a result of LSD or other recreational drugs would be a direct result of the drug itself and not because it’s having any positive effect on the condition.