Is Youtube a useful source for phobia and anxiety sufferers?

J

Jade

You can find just about anything on YouTube and I thought I’d see if they had anything with coping with anxiety and phobias. Videos I found included self help guides, relaxation techniques and even YouTube blogs of real people discussing their phobias. Has anyone else gone on YouTube for the same thing and watched some of these videos, maybe tried some relaxation techniques? Or can anybody recommend a you-tuber that suffers with phobias or anxiety that give useful tips or coping techniques? I might watch some videos and give feedback because a few things do look worthy of a watch.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

You can find just about anything on YouTube and I thought I’d see if they had anything with coping with anxiety and phobias. Videos I found included self help guides, relaxation techniques and even YouTube blogs of real people discussing their phobias. Has anyone else gone on YouTube for the same thing and watched some of these videos, maybe tried some relaxation techniques? Or can anybody recommend a you-tuber that suffers with phobias or anxiety that give useful tips or coping techniques? I might watch some videos and give feedback because a few things do look worthy of a watch.

Youtube really opened my eyes to just how widespread anxiety disorders really are; which is something I found incredibly reassuring and uplifting in a way. Seeing real people talk about their problems, issues and insecurities felt like a step up from just reading quotes on a blog or leaflet. Like some sort socially anxious sponge (aha) I soaked up a ton of videos from philosophy to practical tips:

Philosophy - Alan Watts , Terence McKenna (some of his stuff is very psychedelic heavy. you have been warned) ,

Ted talks - quite a few videos on different disorders and experiences.

Other stuff - Infinite Waters channel,

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Mark

Mark

Anything that helps you fight phobias and anxiety is worth a go in my book - YouTube is also very accessible and something which you can watch in the private of your own home, or even on the move on your mobile phone.

J

Jade

Youtube really opened my eyes to just how widespread anxiety disorders really are; which is something I found incredibly reassuring and uplifting in a way. Seeing real people talk about their problems, issues and insecurities felt like a step up from just reading quotes on a blog or leaflet. Like some sort socially anxious sponge (aha) I soaked up a ton of videos from philosophy to practical tips:

Philosophy - Alan Watts , Terence McKenna (some of his stuff is very psychedelic heavy. you have been warned) ,

Ted talks - quite a few videos on different disorders and experiences.

Other stuff - Infinite Waters channel,

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Thanks for the recommendations Ghost I’ll give them a try. I know that a Youtuber called Zoella that is popular with the ‘tweens’ has recently become a digital ambassador for the charity Mind to bring awareness to anxiety disorders. On one hand she’s praised for bringing awareness to anxiety and panic attacks and on the other she has received a lot of negative feedback because people are doubting the authenticity of her anxiety and claim it might be a publicity move. I can’t comment on that one because I don’t know much about her but I’d like to think she’s genuinely bringing awareness to young people about anxiety

J

Jade

That’s the greatness of Youtube Mark its a huge platform with such a massive variety of content. This reminds me actually does anybody know of any films, TV programmes or documentaries that feature phobias and anxiety? I hazily remember watching something called Bedlam and the first episode was dedicated to people suffering with anxieties, I’ll post a couple of short clips so you can see what its about:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBKfErliSueMZRhqv1H5QZ4dX5B95WPBS

Unfortunately I can’t find the full episodes but they might be somewhere online or just watch out for it on Channel 4.