Is there a link between anxiety and phobias?

Anxietysufferer

Anxietysufferer

Personally I find a strong link between my anxiety and my phobias. Does anyone else think the same?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Research shows a strong link between anxiety, phobias and depression. If you can learn to control each of these issues one at a time you give yourself a good chance of beating them all and learning to control/live with them. Your life is not over if you are suffering from anxiety, phobias and depression and don't let anyone tell you so!

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

Personally I find a strong link between my anxiety and my phobias. Does anyone else think the same?
Hi there,

Absolutely there is a very strong link between the two. Often chronic anxiety is a direct result of being exposed to your stimulus, or your given phobia. So you are correct in thinking this. Most is mild. however many have severe episodes which can result in complete fight or flight situations, panic attacks and more.

Craig

Craig

Anxiety is one thing, a phobia is another.

They are not intertwined yet can feel like they are. A full blown phobic response happens in an instant and you won't have time to feel anxious. Anxiety on the other hand can be felt the day before an event or even a week, month etc. Even by a negative thought which triggers the response. These thoughts can even induce panic attacks.

Two different things which many people think are co dependant of one another. They are not.

Craig.

Mark

Mark

Is someone suffering from phobias more likely to suffer from anxiety and vice versa?

Craig

Craig

Not necessarily no, as the two are not intrinsically linked. They are independent of each other. They can be anxious about encountering the stimulus which will cause the response they are phobic of, yet the two are not linked as being co dependant. Yet it does not mean that someone cannot feel anxious and have phobias yet they do not have to be linked.

Craig.

Mark

Mark

Thanks, that makes sense.

Sometimes I think that sufferers feel they have to tackle both conditions at the same time when in reality they can tackle one at a time?

Craig

Craig

Often by tackling one, the other goes away. It is much the same process of thinking it is just that one is more of an extreme reaction. ( phobia ). Both can be dealt with quite easily.

Craig.

Mark

Mark

Can increased anxiety bring on a phobia episode - or at least make one more likely?

Beattheblues

Beattheblues

Could you describe a phobia as an anticipatory fear or is a phobia a medical/physical reaction?

Mark

Mark

I often find that an ability to control my breathing can help to fight off a phobia and anxiety attacks. Would calming techniques help those suffering from phobias and anxiety?

L

LynnyB

I find the forum helpful, just wish it was busier!

There is a huge link between phobias and anxiety in my mind, but which came first? A chicken and egg question