Is my physical reaction to a phobia real?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
One of the most challenging elements of life as a phobia sufferer is the fact that it can be lonely and difficult to find the answer to simple questions. One question which is asked time and time again by phobia sufferers is whether the physical reaction to a phobia is real or, as sceptics would have you believe, in your head?

Before we even begin to look at the physical reaction to any phobia, let us be clear, the reaction is real and it is actually happening to your body.

Pounding heart, headaches and sweaty palms

While there are hundreds of different phobias recognised by the medical profession today there are many common physical reactions to these. If you have ever suffered from a severe phobia you will recognise the pounding heart, the headaches and the sweaty palms which can make life extremely uncomfortable and lead to increased anxiety. Let nobody dare tell you that your physical reaction, which is an automatic reaction, is not real!

Extreme anxiety

While acute phobias and panic attacks are often very different they do have one particular characteristic in common, extreme anxiety. If your body is effectively on a constant state of high alert this can change the way in which you react to common and normally fear free situations. Once your panic attack or phobia has kicked in then unless you are able to take back control, using various calming and breathing techniques, this can lead to a vicious circle.

If you ask any phobia sufferer how they feel once their condition has kicked in they were likely describe the growing fear, growing anxiety and a need to get back to a safe place. Many sufferers see their homes, or other similar venue, as a safe haven to which they will return to as quickly as possible.

Breathing techniques

While a long-term solution to phobias and panic attacks may take some time to master it is worth noting that breathing techniques help to calm the body and reduce anxiety in the short term. It is this ability to retake control in the relatively early stages of an episode which will grow easier with time and in the long run help you to recognise the symptoms of an oncoming attack. Experts will tell you time and time again that nobody has ever died from a panic attack despite the fact that it feels as though your heart is pounding out of your body, your head is about to explode and you feel extremely sensitive and in a high state of anxiety. Do not forget this!

Conclusion

Those who have never suffered from phobias or panic attacks will likely dismiss the physical and mental symptoms of these particular conditions as irrelevant or overdone. The fact is, and this has been proven medically time and time again, once you are in a high state of anxiety and your phobia or panic attack kicks in then your reaction is natural - which you have no initial control over. Once you learn how to regain control of your anxiety levels, to reduce your fear and think rationally, you can retake control relatively quickly.

This is perhaps one of the hardest points to get across to non-suffers, the fact that your physical and mental reaction to a phobia or a panic attack is automatic and not something over which you initially have control. So, in answer to the question, your physical reaction to any phobia is real!

J

Jade

When I was child I had a problem where I couldn't keep any food down. Literally I would start feeling sick all the time and couldn't even manage a blackjack without sicking it back up. My mum was back and fourth to the Doctor’s with me trying to find a route cause of the problem and what was wrong with me physically but there was nothing. I’ve always been a huge worrier and my Doctor thought it was a physical result of my psychological worry.

Fortunately it didn't last for very long and hasn't extended into adulthood but it certainly proves how much worry and anxiety can effect you physically.