Hypnotherapy for phobias?

J

Jade

I’ve heard some really wonderful things about hypnotherapy in the past and my friend’s auntie went under hypnotherapy to stop smoking a few years ago and apparently hasn't had a cigarette since. I’ve been thinking about this and whether or not this would work for phobias and I did some research and apparently its very effective.

You can read this if you want more info http://www.abouthypnosis.com/phobias.html.

Has anyone tried it? The negative side of me says its too good to be true but is it? Would anyone fancy giving it a go?I think I’d like to myself and would like some opinions please :)

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Funnily enough I was talking to a mate about hypnotherapy yesterday and whether I should try it. It's something that I'd be up for doing but It seems quite expensive and I'm slightly sceptical about it actually working.

J

Jade

I agree I think that if I was 100% sure it would be effective I would certainly pay out for it. They do talk about having hypnotherapy on the the NHS website

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/hypnotherapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

But if you read this it does say scientists believe it relies on the placebo effect for it’s success.
Unfortunately now I know that I think I’d be unaffected by it because I know it will be a placebo if it does any good. So reading that I can come to the conclusion that hypnotherapy would only work if you believed in it in the first place.

What does everyone think?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I think having that initial belief (or yearning desperation) in the first place would play a key part in how effective the treatment would be. I think there needs to be a load of studies conducted to build a better picture of the effectiveness of hypnotherapy, only then will suffers know if it's truly a viable option.

J

Jade

For anyone who wanted to take the plunge and try hypnotherapy from the comfort of their own home I’ve heard Paul Mckenna is very good. There was a big thing years ago about Paul Mckenna bringing out a weight-loss tape or something and it had good results. Whether or not this was just suggestive I don’t know.
I found his site and he does do a number of personal hypnosis sessions to download. I don’t know of I have enough faith in this to pay out for it ( £15 is still £15 haha) but for anyone willing to give it ago please post the results here because it would be very useful to know if it works.

http://store.paulmckenna.com/product-group-downloads-13.aspx

Mark

Mark

Whatever treatment you look towards to assist with phobias and anxiety it really does literally boil down to the power of the mind and positive thinking. I would use the example of religion which some people believe in wholeheartedly while others dismiss. If you have a particular technique or a particular belief which assists your life in a positive manner then who are we to criticise? Many people find help and assistance in very different places and hypnosis, akin to the power of the mind, may well be the perfect solution for some people.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

After months of careful consideration I'm actually going give hypnotherapy a shot. At the moment i'm saving up funds for about 4/5 sessions to see whether it can make any sort of positive impact big or small. I'll be sure to let you guys know how the sessions are going if you're interested.

J

Jade

After months of careful consideration I'm actually going give hypnotherapy a shot. At the moment i'm saving up funds for about 4/5 sessions to see whether it can make any sort of positive impact big or small. I'll be sure to let you guys know how the sessions are going if you're interested.
That’s great Ghost, glad you decided to give it a shot. Do let us know how it goes it would be useful to see if it works for you. When you have your first session it would be great if you could tell us what its like and how they do it. Good luck and I hope you find it beneficial.:)

kelbel

kelbel

Please do let us know how you get on with this. I hope you get a positive outcome with it :)

I have actually tried hypnotherapy myself, twice. The first time i spent the entire time thinking "am i hypnotised yet?!" lol. It certainly wasn't what i was expecting (I'd probably watched Paul McKenna a little bit too much and was expecting to be very heavily put under). It was basically like being very relaxed and the therapist then talks to you planting seeds of positivity about the issues you are facing. My personal opinion of it, is that it's good if your problem isn't too complex.

I do actually use relaxation DVDs every day now and find they definitely make a difference (and they are a lot cheaper!).

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Please do let us know how you get on with this. I hope you get a positive outcome with it :)

I have actually tried hypnotherapy myself, twice. The first time i spent the entire time thinking "am i hypnotised yet?!" lol. It certainly wasn't what i was expecting (I'd probably watched Paul McKenna a little bit too much and was expecting to be very heavily put under). It was basically like being very relaxed and the therapist then talks to you planting seeds of positivity about the issues you are facing. My personal opinion of it, is that it's good if your problem isn't too complex.

I do actually use relaxation DVDs every day now and find they definitely make a difference (and they are a lot cheaper!).
Thanks for the info Kelbel, I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. I'll go in open minded even though I am pretty skeptical about the whole thing haha!

J

Jade

I must admit Kelbel until you just corrected my opinion through explaining your experience with hypnotherapy I was under the same impression as you were before your first session, I too thought it would be very Paul Mckenna like and you’d go into almost a deep sleep or trance. I suppose you could say it’s like relaxation therapy but that really isn't the impression I had of it. Knowing this though I must admit I’m less skeptical about it now because before I was thinking I’m not going to be able to be hypnotized or put to ‘under’ through the session. As you say it only works if your problem isn't complex so I think I’d be more likely to just stick with the relaxation tapes from home. I don’t discourage others from giving it a try though, it may work brilliantly for some because everyone’s phobias/anxiety are different so the effectiveness of numerous treatments will vary person to person.

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

Hello guys!

Trained hypno / mindbender here!

First of all, brilliant kudos for opening this discussion. I for one am a complete believer in it, purely because ive seen the benefits. Let me start with some facts based on what you guys have already discussed :)

1.Kebel, wonderful, its great that you have at least experienced it, so therefore you have some understanding of what it feels like. HOWEVER, the experience is different from person to person. Most have a really positive experience in some form out of it, I can honestly say i havent had a negative impact with it yet :)

2. Yes, watching Paul McKenna on repeat will give you a lot of misdirection about hypnosis in general. Yes, he is a strong pioneer in the subject, however he implants in my opinion alot of false expectation about what happens and people receive a blinkered perspective on hypnosis in general. People assume that they will bark like dogs or do something against their will, it is most certainly not the case ;)

3. Planting seeds.... Not at all, its actually more you doing the work given a suggestion. Planting positivity seeds is not the way you resolve phobias :) however it does absolutely help so im pleased that it has given you some food for thought.

4. Its good if your problem is not too complex.... Not at all :) Everything if you understand and see where it stems from has a beginning, middle and end........ If a therapist understands your stimulus or beginning, they will know instantly whether you have a fear or a phobia and assist you directly on dealing with your issue., Granted not everything can be done in 1 session, some need several. However, its good that you have at least used it in some form. It gives you an awesome base to build on it :)

5. Using relaxation CDs are GREAT!!! I highly recommend Christopher Lloyd Clarke or Silencio music... They provide some brilliant relaxation music which i use in most of my therapy CDs for clients. They really do zone you out.

Can I ask what it is your having it for? If you dont mind disclosing. If it is a phobia, a phobia can be generally dealt with in 1 session, no lie. If they are quoting you 5! I would be questioning the therapist. If its something like Emetophobia for example, often this has been known to stem from childhood trauma experiences with an ability to control their emotions from as I mentioned abuse. (This is however not always the case). This on this instance may need further sessions, however if it is a phobia, for example Spiders, Snakes, Needles etc, i have never had 1 person come back to me for more than 2 in the most extreme of cases. (I have had a few! XD)

Whatever treatment you look towards to assist with phobias and anxiety it really does literally boil down to the power of the mind and positive thinking. I would use the example of religion which some people believe in wholeheartedly while others dismiss. If you have a particular technique or a particular belief which assists your life in a positive manner then who are we to criticise? Many people find help and assistance in very different places and hypnosis, akin to the power of the mind, may well be the perfect solution for some people.
You are absolutely spot on. Often people come into me with a guard and a lack of willingness. People often find it difficult to understand that hypnotherapy is not something that is always used for making people do stupid stuff on stage. That is a hypnotist, not a hypnotherapist..... 2 different heads, similar techniques, COMPLETELY different outcomes :)

People come to me and say "Oh, you going to make me bark like a dog and do something against my will?" I say yes, I could do that, but thats not why we are here. Im here to help you move from A to B with your phobia, not bark like a dog.....

Hope this clarifies a few points guys and im willing to answer any questions :D

Mark

Mark

I remember years ago my grandma went to a hypnotist and he had them all "under" on stage ready to do his stuff. He went up and down the line of people and whispered in my grandma's ear "Its ok I know you are not under, you can go and sit down now". There has to be a certain amount of belief for any cure/process to work.

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

Absolutely, and a hypnotherapist would know this. However being open minded is a big plus point :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @KirstyMarks

Maybe when you have a moment you could start a new thread giving a general over view of how a course of hypnotherapy would go for a new client. This might take away some of the mystery and "sensationalism" which often surrounds this subject?

Craig

Craig

A course of hypnotherapy is not always needed. Anxiety, fear and phobias are relatively simple to treat and do not take a lot of time with an experienced practitioner who knows the differences and how to work with them.

Craig.

L

LynnyB

I was talking to a friend the ther day. Personally, I think the way the media present hypnosis as some kind of entertainment deflects from the potentially huge benefits in treating various mental health issues.

F

Fightingback

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried hypnotheraphy to see if it worked for them.