How to beat misophonia, a phobia of sounds like slurping, chewing, tapping and clicking

Mark

Mark

Misophonia is a challenging condition, but there are several strategies and techniques that may help manage symptoms. Here are some tips to help beat misophonia:
  1. Identify your triggers: Keep a journal to identify the specific sounds or situations that trigger your misophonia. This can help you avoid or prepare for them.
  2. Use earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones: Blocking out trigger sounds with earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones can help reduce the severity of your emotional and physical reactions.
  3. Practice relaxation techniques: Techniques like deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, and mindfulness meditation can help you manage your emotional and physical responses to trigger sounds.
  4. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is a type of therapy that helps people change their negative thought patterns and behaviors. It can help people with misophonia learn to manage their reactions to trigger sounds.
  5. Exposure therapy: Exposure therapy involves gradually exposing yourself to trigger sounds in a controlled environment. This can help you build tolerance and reduce the severity of your reactions.
  6. Seek support: Joining a support group or talking to a mental health professional can be helpful in managing misophonia. They can provide you with practical coping strategies and emotional support.
Remember that everyone's journey with misophonia is unique, and it may take time to find the right combination of strategies and techniques that work for you. With patience and persistence, it is possible to manage misophonia and live a fulfilling life.

I have suffered from a strange phobia of watching people eat, especially cowboys in the westerns I used to watch as a child. It made me feel really uncomfortable.