How do I Go About Building Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I've come to accept that I am now in the position of low self esteem and confidence as a result of my anxiety and lingering depression. What practical steps can you recommend I take to rebuild my confidence and general outlook on life?

Mark

Mark

Aside from medical assistance to "take the edge off" in the short term I would strongly recommend small steps such as visiting your local shop on a regular basis and build conversations with people there. One of the terrible side effects of anxiety and depression is that fact they can stop you wanting/able to communicate with other people which then makes the matter worse - like a self fulfilling prophecy.

J

Jade

I've come to accept that I am now in the position of low self esteem and confidence as a result of my anxiety and lingering depression. What practical steps can you recommend I take to rebuild my confidence and general outlook on life?
Hi Ghost, sorry to hear that and I hope you can gain that self esteem back gradually. What I suggest you do is make a list of your good personal attributes and focus on them. Try not to focus on the things you don’t like about yourself because that will knock your confidence and self esteem. I’ve read quite a few posts you’ve commented on this forum and you’ve replied to some of my posts and I’ve found your support very helpful. To me you seem like a caring person and as you’ve said in a post before your dream is to become a writer so you must be good at it ( your posts on here reflect that as they are very well expressed). Just two of the many positive attributes I’m sure you have. Be honest with yourself if your good at something or have something you consider a great quality in your personality acknowledge them and focus on them :)

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Aside from medical assistance to "take the edge off" in the short term I would strongly recommend small steps such as visiting your local shop on a regular basis and build conversations with people there. One of the terrible side effects of anxiety and depression is that fact they can stop you wanting/able to communicate with other people which then makes the matter worse - like a self fulfilling prophecy.
Hi Ghost, sorry to hear that and I hope you can gain that self esteem back gradually. What I suggest you do is make a list of your good personal attributes and focus on them. Try not to focus on the things you don’t like about yourself because that will knock your confidence and self esteem. I’ve read quite a few posts you’ve commented on this forum and you’ve replied to some of my posts and I’ve found your support very helpful. To me you seem like a caring person and as you’ve said in a post before your dream is to become a writer so you must be good at it ( your posts on here reflect that as they are very well expressed). Just two of the many positive attributes I’m sure you have. Be honest with yourself if your good at something or have something you consider a great quality in your personality acknowledge them and focus on them :)
Thanks for the tips guys. I know I have a long road ahead and they'll be difficult choices and experiences to come, however I'm hopeful that things will get better eventually. Instead of being envious of other people I need to focus my attention and energy into something constructive and positive.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
When my phobia and anxiety took hold many years ago I decided to start working for myself (I appreciate this is not an option for everyone) and slowly but surely I built myself back up again. The fact I had to work to support my family was pressure but it also helped me get up in the morning even when I was feeling at my worst. The only downside for me was the lack of interaction in an office and social environment as I was stuck in my office working by myself. Then again, I suppose I can't have it all!

J

Jade

When my phobia and anxiety took hold many years ago I decided to start working for myself (I appreciate this is not an option for everyone) and slowly but surely I built myself back up again. The fact I had to work to support my family was pressure but it also helped me get up in the morning even when I was feeling at my worst. The only downside for me was the lack of interaction in an office and social environment as I was stuck in my office working by myself. Then again, I suppose I can't have it all!
This comment has really made me think of how certain pressure can help you take that leap in overcoming your phobias. For example I think living on my own has really helped me kick myself into gear because I know if I’m suffering with my anxiety but I need to go out and get something I have no one else to do it for me so I just have to take the plunge and do it. If my cat needed food and I really didn’t feel like going out that day because I was suffering with my nerves I’d have know choice but to push myself or she’ll go hungry. I might not have explained that very well but does anyone see what I mean?