Has anyone ever taken advantage of your phobia?

J

Jade

This is an interesting question and I would like to hear if anyone else has experienced anything like this.
I just remembered this incident after I was writing on another post about a phobia I had years ago about losing my teeth and gum disease.

So I went to a hygienist a few years ago after I had a visit to the dentist. I told her I had been worrying about having gum disease and instead of telling me I didn’t have it ( looking back now it was quite clear I didn’t have it) she told me “ well you might have it, you better come back in a few weeks for another cleaning ”.
Now if I hadn’t have gone to the dentist before hand I would have completely freaked out at this. It would have made my phobia so much worse but because I had visited the dentist before hand and he completely assured me I didn’t have gum disease and that my teeth were healthy, I took this with a pinch of salt. My dentist wasn’t happy with this when I told him about it and I figured it was just a case of getting another £50 for a second cleaning which I really didn’t need.

Sorry for the negativity of this thread and would like to add that incidents like this are rare but it’s usually the bad experiences that stick with us isn't it.