Do you think it's time the media changed its approach to advertisement and journalism?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I think it's safe to say that the media plays a big part in how we view the world, each other and ourselves. A lot people base their entire lives around how the news portrays the world - fearful of the never ending dangers and supposed chaos. In my opinion, the media has firmly planted itself into our self conscious telling us to buy stuff we don't need, live a certain way and hate needlessly. These Ideologies are (along with many others) what bring about ignorance, ill heath and just general negativity. Maybe I'm just being a pessimist, what do you think?

J

Jade

I agree and I don’t think its necessarily pessimistic because it’s a true observation. An article on the BBC website today touches on the effects the media can have on people. Education in school is wanted to stop children from growing up with a warped self-image due to unrealistic appearances and expectations in the media. As I’ve said before the best solution is to just take everything you see or read in the media with a pinch of salt and not to compare ourselves or our lives to the ‘ideals’ we see everyday on TV, magazines etc.
Here’s the article I was talking about-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33190297

Last edited: