Differences between a Phobia & Fear

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

Hi folks,

I thought I would post this for you. Just as a little explanation. Many people often confuse Phobias and Fears. Its not uncommon, and certainly easy to explain.

A phobia is a full blown, chemical response to a given stimulus. People will not be able to look, touch, see, (should it be a spider, snake for example). People will live in constant worry (for example emetophobia). A phobia is often learned from a loved one in many cases! (Not always)

A fear however is a perceived response. An anticipated outlook of what may happen, should they be exposed to a given stimulus. For example, a fear of open water... People say, I have a fear of water.... I ask,... ok, fear of water, can you get in a swimming pool... yes.... If you can get into a swimming pool, but your scared of the sea. Its still damn right scary, however this is because you have had a bad experience at some point, and still scared of it happening again, BUT you wont totally avoid some instances where water is around, IE a swimming pool... purely because a swimming pool wasn't the cause of your anxiety, the sea was.

Happy to explain further should this be needed. :)

P.S.... I'm not saying that both are more detrimental than the other ;) both cause severe emotional distress and anxiety for sufferers, and both are life hindering. Its how you deal with them which is completely different :)

Mark

Mark

So you could say that a phobia is a physical response to a situation while a fear is a mental response?

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

Hi Mark, in a way yes. Both can be physical. Its more of a case that it is more perceived, than actually happened. If this makes sense :)

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

IE,... if you were scared of spiders. You couldnt look at pictures, videos, or anything... If you had a dog phobia, you wouldnt be able to look at dogs, be around them etc... However having a fear of dogs is more likely a dog you dont know, or its demeanour, therefore you would assume it would react the way it did when you learnt that fear. However if you had a family dog, you would be ok around it as you know how it acts. Hope that makes further sense.

Mark

Mark

I once had some very useful CBT sessions and two things stick in my mind:-

When I had a fear of crowds or meeting people the therapist said, so what are you feared about? What do you think is going to happen? My response, I don't know but maybe they will speak to me? He said well just say a quick hello back and they won't think anything of it. So what are you feared of after that? My answer....mmmm....I dont know lol

In the first session he said to me that anxiety issues had impact the way my brain was think and reacting and it was simply a case of "rewiring" the thought pattern. My fight or flight radar wasnt working properly, maybe a little too sensitive?

Pretty much like you have said Kirsty?

Mark

Mark

So my "phobia" of dogs is simply a phobia that dogs I don't know will bite me again?

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

So my "phobia" of dogs is simply a phobia that dogs I don't know will bite me again?
Yes, but it is a fear. As you have had a bad experience with a dog you don't know. It bit you, you learned to behave that way towards dogs that you didnt know... however if you had a family pet, u know its never bit you, youve spent all your life round it. Therefore the likelihood of it biting is VERY minimal compared to a dog that you dont know what its like... aka a perceived threat :)

Andy

Andy

So is there a difference in how you'd deal with a phobia compared with a fear?

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

Hi Andy,

As far as coping techniques go I highly recommend a book by Gary Turner called "No Worries" as a first port of call. I use these techniques myself as well as recommend this to suitable clients. Other than that I would seek a suitable therapist in your area who will be able to assist :)

Andy

Andy

I was wondering if you'd read that book.

How would someone know that they've found a suitable therapist as opposed to someone merely claiming they're the best option?

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

Hi Andy,

Great question. I have read this book, and i continue to read it. Why? It is my first and last point of call for a range of great coping techniques for Anxiety often associated with phobic responses.

As for therapists? I would personally recommend someone who I have personally seen that they have a full extensive knowledge of the condition, where it begins and progresses and obviously has some form of feedback from clients as to the efficacy of their work in this particular area.

Alot of charlatans out there.

Andy

Andy

Agreed, too many people giving the impression that they're highly knowledgeable and expert whilst risking causing further problems for a client.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Andy

First of all welcome to the forum - we hope you will find it helpful and a great place to discuss phobias and anxieties.

I totally agree with your sentiments - discussing issues and how sufferers cope/overcame them is one thing but actually treating them is something else. It is great to have experts like Kirsty on board.

Andy

Andy

Admin, as somebody who as studied hypnosis and hypnotherapy for over twenty years, and as a peer of several of kirtys mentors I fully agree.

Andy

Andy

If you'd like, admin, I'm happy to invite some other experts in, guys I know have helped mentor kirsty over the last two years, guys who I listen to and bounce ideas with, one of whom is the guy who wrote the book kirsty refers to.

Say the word and I'll invite them.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Andy

That would be great if you could invite them over. Much appreciated.

Craig

Craig

Hi Mark.

Thanks for the request and the indeed the add. Much appreciated.

Hey Andy, thanks for the recommendation. I look forward to reading and posting where I can.

Craig.

Mark

Mark

Hi Criag

Welcome to the site - a fellow dog lover I see :)

Regards,

Mark