Challenging myself to drive alone

Mark

Mark

In the bad old days I would struggle to drive long journeys on my own and if I am honest I have still been avoiding these situations. However, I have recently challenged myself to driver longer journeys on my own and I am proud of what I have achieved so far :)

I can sometimes feel the murmurings of a panic attack but I know how to take back control now.

J

Jade

Well done you must be very proud of your achievement! and I’m glad you have managed to get your panic attacks under control. If you don’t mind me asking what motivated you to brave the longer journeys on the road? Work, leisure or something else? It would also be very useful and greatly appreciated if you wouldn’t mind sharing your tips on how you keep your panic attacks under control?
It’s lovely to know how well you are doing and I bet your achievements so far are a huge motivation to continue :)

Mark

Mark

Thanks Jade

I took the conscious decision to push myself as I have sometimes tried to put off long journeys by myself - however my family are my real motivation. My strategy was simple as I began to feel my heart beat quicken and my body temperature felt like it was rising - I switched the radio off in the car to give me peace and quiet, put the heater on cold and wound the window down. For some reason this lets me take control of a pending panic attack and then I started my breathing and relaxation exercises - focusing on something positive, feeling proud of myself for fighting back and ignoring the growing urge to pull over.

After a while the panic started to lift and I felt in control again. I think control is the key - controlling your environment and your thoughts.