Certain smells triggering anxiety

J

Jade

I consider smell to be a very important trigger of our memories and experiences and often when I smell a familiar smell I’m reminded of a certain time that I know connects with that smell. For example when I smell hay it always reminds me of when I used to go horse riding when I was a child and brings back a pleasant wave of memories. Of course it works both ways and if I smell a smell I associate with a bad time in my life it has the opposite effect and it’s not pleasant. Can anyone else relate to this or is it just me?

Mark

Mark

I have not suffered this myself but I can imagine a smell triggering a thought in your brain which can then trigger further thoughts associated with phobias and anxiety? The brain is a very powerful thing and they say we only use a fraction of its true potential!

J

Jade

I have not suffered this myself but I can imagine a smell triggering a thought in your brain which can then trigger further thoughts associated with phobias and anxiety? The brain is a very powerful thing and they say we only use a fraction of its true potential!
Yes that’s what it is, I suppose a good example of smells triggering bad memories resulting in anxiety would be the smell of a hospital. If you visited someone in hospital or if you yourself have been in hospital for an illness etc than the smell of disinfectant may trigger anxious feelings. The same could be said with phobias e.g smell of dentist etc.