Can you think of any positive aspects of having a phobia?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Having a social phobia has changed my life in a lot of ways but its not all been in a bad. It's taught me the importance of friends and family, to appreciate the smaller things and a new found respect for my mind and body.

Can you think of anything positive as a result of your phobia?

J

Jade

Although I’d obviously wish to be free of my phobias as you say Ghost it does make you appreciate others around you that have supported you. It has also made me realise my true friends. I’ve told others I thought were very good friends in the past and they have mocked me or as one of my ex-friends did put one of my food phobias on me for a ‘laugh’. That made me realise I didn't need those people in my life. Those that have supported me and been understanding have really come through and proved themselves extremely loyal and caring friends.

Alice Ellis

Alice Ellis

I know it sounds weird, but after spending quite a long time annoyed at the fact that my fears/phobias seem so absurd (cows, for one),I have finally begun to realise that they are just a tiny part of all the things that make me who I am. Yes, they have made my life a little more complicated and there are certain things that I cannot do, but I try not to think of them as flaws. They are strange and frustrating and troubling sometimes, but everybody has quirks and they are just some of mine. I guess what I am trying to say is that they can end up reminding you of how different you are to everybody else, but in a good way. I don't know whether that makes any sense! :)

J

Jade

I really admire your attitude towards your phobias Alice. It’s a very positive and refreshing way of thinking and really you are right although I’ve never really thought about it like that before.Each person in this world is an individual and it would be boring if we were all the same. Although our phobias can be stressful for us and we should keep trying to find ways to address them and combat them I think keeping this attitude in mind will have a positive effect on our self esteem. No one should ever been ashamed of their phobias because they are just what makes us unique.