Can phobia cause high blood pressure?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Can phobia because high blood pressure is a very interesting question which is fairly easy to explain. Firstly, it is important to differentiate between a short-term spike in blood pressure and what is known as hypertension, consistently high blood pressure. While this report suggest there is a link between anxiety, often experienced by those with phobias, and hypertension:-

It is important to say that this is not the wider held opinion with some research suggesting those who suffer from anxiety may have a lesser chance of developing hypertension. So, in summary, phobias can bring about anxiety which can bring about a short-term spike in blood pressure. However, once the phobia episode has passed, and your anxiety levels fall, your blood pressure should return to normal.

W

Wanttodrive

Phobia Success Stories
I always thought there was a direct link between anxiety and hypertension - interesting article btw.

H

Helprequired

I find it difficult to believe there is no link between anxiety and hypertension. Surely the more times you suffer from anxiety, which leads to high blood pressure, the greater the damage to your arteries?

Anxietysufferer

Anxietysufferer

Having discussed my anxiety at length with my doctor, there is a link between anxiety and short-term high blood pressure. Whether this can lead to hypertension, long-term high blood pressure, is a matter for debate. At the moment, it looks as though there is no direct link between short-term spikes in blood pressure and hypertension, as bizarre as that may seem.