Can pets help with anxiety?

J

Jade

I’ve read a few articles before that have claimed that pets can help with the controlling anxiety. Caring for a pet has gradual but long-term effects on reducing levels of anxiety and stroking an animal is supposed to have an immediate effect of calmness in moments of stress and anxiety. Enjoying a loving friendship with an animal is also meant to boast feelings of self esteem and dogs in particular can also build up confidence if you suffer with social anxiety as you have a companion that can make you feel more relaxed if you are around people.
What do you think?
I personally find this statement to be true as I find if I’m particularly anxious or worried stroking my cat does calm me.

pixie10

pixie10

I definitely agree with this! I have 2 dogs (hence my profile picture ;)) and they are a great comfort and distraction. Dogs in particular are very switched on to human emotions. Even if they don't understand exactly what is going on, they certainly know if you are upset, or having an arguement etc, and their first instinct is always to come over to check on you :).

Distraction is great if you are starting to feel panicky and my dogs are such big character (plus being big physically - the biggest one weights 11 stone!!) so it's very hard to ignore them when they do come over!

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Dogs are just awesome! Like Pixie10 said 'they are a great comfort and distraction' - not to mention loyal. You can always rely on a dog to cheer you up. I have know idea just how perceptive a dog really is but I do know that dog is truly a great companion. The fact that my greyhound is always happy to see me walk through the door is great on so many levels.

Mark

Mark

I could not agree more, you only have to look at my profile picture to see!

Whether you are feeling anxious, you have phobia issues or indeed you are not feeling very well there's nothing better than a cuddle off your pet. They seem to know when you are down and even the smallest gesture can put a smile on your face. I can guarantee 100% that each time I go home after work and open the front door the first face I see is my pet dog coming to welcome me :)

J

Jade

I could not agree more, you only have to look at my profile picture to see!

Whether you are feeling anxious, you have phobia issues or indeed you are not feeling very well there's nothing better than a cuddle off your pet. They seem to know when you are down and even the smallest gesture can put a smile on your face. I can guarantee 100% that each time I go home after work and open the front door the first face I see is my pet dog coming to welcome me :)
Animals are just lovely and the fact they are full of so much love and don’t judge can be a great comfort. I don’t know what it is with animals but they seem to be very sensitive to emotions and as you said can sense when something is wrong. If I’m having a tough day my cat will come and plonk herself on me and either nudge me with her head or give me kisses. I’ve also heard that watching fish can be very calming and therapeutic.