Work and Phobias

J

Jade

I think this is an important issue to focus on because many phobias can effect our work and career choices. Personally for me I couldn’t work around food. When i was younger looking for a part time job was difficult. Restaurants,cafe’s, supermarkets were out of the question because I just could not work around the food I had phobias of.

Even for the phobias that don’t have any involvement in a job sector it can still be difficult. For example someone I know has a huge phobia of thunder and lightening. Going out to work would be difficult for them as the weather is unpredictable and it is quite possible the weather could change whilst they were at work.

Has anyone else experienced limitations in employment due to their phobias, and did you manage to overcome them?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

In my experience I encountered both limitation and liberation. Jobs I used to be able to handle like customer service, shop assistant etc I could never see myself doing again; not only because of my anxiety but because I felt my creative skills were being ignored. So I decided to pursue my passion for writing - freelance writing to be specific. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working towards my true calling and I guess (in strange round about way) I have social anxiety to thank for it.

J

Jade

In my experience I encountered both limitation and liberation. Jobs I used to be able to handle like customer service, shop assistant etc I could never see myself doing again; not only because of my anxiety but because I felt my creative skills were being ignored. So I decided to pursue my passion for writing - freelance writing to be specific. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working towards my true calling and I guess (in strange round about way) I have social anxiety to thank for it.
That’s a very positive approach I always admire that. It’s helpful to try and pin point the positives when suffering with phobia and anxiety, although it’s hard to do that sometimes because of so much negativity we experience suffering with these problems. Anyway I’m glad you have found something you enjoy doing and wish you all the luck :).As you mentioned creativity I thought this would be interesting. Did you know creative people are more likely to suffer from depression, anxiety and mood disorders! I’m going to create a post on that now actually because I think it’s a fascinating topic have read if your interested.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

That’s a very positive approach I always admire that. It’s helpful to try and pin point the positives when suffering with phobia and anxiety, although it’s hard to do that sometimes because of so much negativity we experience suffering with these problems. Anyway I’m glad you have found something you enjoy doing and wish you all the luck :).As you mentioned creativity I thought this would be interesting. Did you know creative people are more likely to suffer from depression, anxiety and mood disorders! I’m going to create a post on that now actually because I think it’s a fascinating topic have read if your interested.
Thank you for your kind words Jade. I'm not entirely surprised that creative people are more likely to suffer from the illnesses you mention, I say this because of the scrutiny creative people face from both their audience and from themselves.

J

Jade

Thank you for your kind words Jade. I'm not entirely surprised that creative people are more likely to suffer from the illnesses you mention, I say this because of the scrutiny creative people face from both their audience and from themselves.
Your welcome :). Also you know I didn’t even think of the scrutiny they face but that is an excellent point. As you said your a freelance writer I suppose you will come across someone who doesn’t quite agree with what you write or you may have to re-do a certain work for an employer if it’s not exactly what they were looking for. It’s important for people in a creative field to develop a thick skin and take criticism as constructive rather than taking it to heart. Wouldn't you agree?