What goes through your mind in the middle of a panic attack?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Panic attacks are more common than many people would assume with the vast majority of people likely to suffer one or many in their lifetime. For those who suffer panic attacks on a regular basis, what goes through your mind when you are having a panic attack?

My fear was simply a fear of the unknown with my mind working overtime and imagining scenarios which would never happen. Once I learned to understand that it was a fear of fear which was bringing on my panic attacks, I learned how to control and cope with them.

J

Jade

I do the same I think of awful scenarios which are sometimes completely unrealistic. I actually picture events in my head and imagine my reaction to them and that makes me so much worse. Say for instance I’m worried about my friend’s hospital appointment I will start picturing them giving me bad news and this makes me come over very light headed it literally feels like a rush of blood is going to my head and that's when my anxiety attack really starts to become it’s worst. I try and keep these feelings out my head but then I start to worry if I don’t prepare myself for the worst I’ll get a shock if it was bad news if you see what I mean?I find getting reassurance is quite helpful but I believe it’s you that needs to snap yourself away from those thoughts even though this can be very difficult and feel near impossible. I have to keep trying though and be positive that I can will my mind to be calmer :)

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

For me a panic attack complete strips me of rational thought for a short while. The overwhelming sensation floods my mind and sets off moments of light-headedness and heart palpitations. If i'm somewhere in public i'll either look for the nearest bench, toilet or secluded area to regather my thoughts and breath.

Mark

Mark

I recognise "light-headedness and heart palpitations" then the sweating, the fear of the unknown and my head quite literally feels as though it is going to burst. Deep breaths and a focus on something calming help me to pull out of a panic attack. Also, I like to be cool so if I am in the car I will turn the heating down and open the windows – I also switch off the radio for peace and quiet.

J

Jade

I recognise "light-headedness and heart palpitations" then the sweating, the fear of the unknown and my head quite literally feels as though it is going to burst. Deep breaths and a focus on something calming help me to pull out of a panic attack. Also, I like to be cool so if I am in the car I will turn the heating down and open the windows – I also switch off the radio for peace and quiet.
Yes I experience heart palpitations too it literally feels like my heart is going to burst out of my chest.Although I can sweat a little bit during my panic attacks I actually suffer with chills and shivering but my face will feel like it’s burning up. Last week it was a hot, sunny day and I was freezing and had goosebumps all over my body. I find it best to open a window to help with my breathing if I’m at home but keep myself warm because when my body starts to get very cold and the drop in temperature in my body can make me feel even more nauseous and feeling cold strangely makes me feel very vulnerable.