The link between creativity and anxiety.

J

Jade

I’ve heard this many times before that mental health is linked to creativity and we only have to look at creative legends such as Van Gogh and Charles Dickens to back up this theory. Apparently it’s not coincidental though and its actually something that is scientifically linked in the brain.

Did anybody know that that the famous painting ‘ The Scream’ by Edvard Munch's is actually a depictation of an anxiety attack?

This article-
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/22/world/the-dark-side-of-creativity-vincent-van-gogh/ can give you more information:

I found this connection of mental health problems and creativity to be fascinating I would like to hear your thoughts because this is such an interesting topic to discuss

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I had to jump on this topic as somewhat of a creative character myself. I had no idea that 'The Scream' symbolised an anxiety attack, that's really interesting; my whole view of this painting has completely changed. Thank you.

If we look at the creativity industry as a whole (film, music, art, movies etc) you'll see that across the board that a number of the top performers have some form of mental illness. In my opinion some of the greatest work ever produced (this painting included) have come from artists with a so-called 'troubled mind'. Their amazing ability to direct, write, paint and sing raw emotion and experience deserves to be praised and remembered.

J

Jade

This makes me wonder whether it is the mind exploring creatively that brings on phobias and anxiety. Perhaps it’s something to do with the imagination a creative person has. There mind will think of different scenarios and put them into paintings, words etc, so the thought process is continuously overreaching to imagine a scenario or a situation that may not be exactly plausible or probable. For example for someone who has a severe phobia of flying the imaginative may consider a series of unlikely events such as a crash or high-jack etc. It makes for great story-telling or art but unfortunately it doesn’t have the same positive effect on phobias, anxiety of mental health.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

This makes me wonder whether it is the mind exploring creatively that brings on phobias and anxiety. Perhaps it’s something to do with the imagination a creative person has. There mind will think of different scenarios and put them into paintings, words etc, so the thought process is continuously overreaching to imagine a scenario or a situation that may not be exactly plausible or probable. For example for someone who has a severe phobia of flying the imaginative may consider a series of unlikely events such as a crash or high-jack etc. It makes for great story-telling or art but unfortunately it doesn’t have the same positive effect on phobias, anxiety of mental health.
Imagination has a big part to play I reckon. An extremely vivid and over-active imagination can work as a double edge sword, feeding the artist with amazing ideas and concepts, but equally self-destructive realisations and thought patterns. In my opinion, the mind is both fascinating and frightening in equal measure and to think (no pun intended) that one could have control over the mind would be completely naive. We know very little about the inner-working of the brain and why it does what it does.

J

Jade

Yes the brain is both fascinating and powerful.It makes me wonder if we will ever get to grips with the brain or whether this will always be scientifically out of our reach.I think if you are a creative person and you do suffer with phobias and anxiety, yes keep trying to find ways to control your phobias but try not to beat yourself up or feel shameful about it. You could think to yourself this is just a sacrifice in exchange for your creativity and the great work you produce.Putting your anxieties and phobias onto paper will also be a productive way to release your fears and create them into something useful.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Yes the brain is both fascinating and powerful.It makes me wonder if we will ever get to grips with the brain or whether this will always be scientifically out of our reach.I think if you are a creative person and you do suffer with phobias and anxiety, yes keep trying to find ways to control your phobias but try not to beat yourself up or feel shameful about it. You could think to yourself this is just a sacrifice in exchange for your creativity and the great work you produce.Putting your anxieties and phobias onto paper will also be a productive way to release your fears and create them into something useful.
That is some good advice Jade. I think I need to be more proactive with how I interpret and handle my fears. Writing (just like most creative disciplines) can be a great outlet for releasing tension, fear and anxieties.

J

Jade

Thanks glad you found it useful :) This makes me think whether it would be useful for phobia and anxiety sufferers to keep a diary? If they are not an artist or writer like yourself putting your thoughts and experiences down in a diary may be helpful in the same sort of way. It doesn’t have to be anything of creative genius just a little outlet of thoughts and feelings which would also be a good way to keep track of any progress you make. Almost like a written journey to reflect on and to see how far you’ve come from beginning to end.

kelbel

kelbel

This is really interesting Jade. Funnily enough i'm also a creative person (a Graphic Designer by trade)... I wonder how many of us on here actually do have a creative job / hobby / mindset?!

I also didn't realise that 'The Scream' depicted a panic attack. You learn something new every day :)

J

Jade

It is very interesting to see the link of creativity and anxiety in practice. I think it's fascinating looking at art works that depict anxiety and mental illness. It gives you a great insight into the mind of the artist and it’s interesting to see how one depicts a mental illness and how they interpret their feelings through art. As I mentioned before creative works can be a great outlet for anxiety, depression etc and is something that I would encourage others to do. You don’t have to be Van Gogh,just adding a pencil or brush to paper can be a great outlet and can even help you identify your feelings when you try and interpret them into something tangible. Even if you just keep them drawings and paintings completely private it could be a helpfully activity for you to try. If anyone decides to try this please let us know. It would also be great if someone decided to share their works on this forum that would make for a very enjoyable thread :)

P

Paul1

As I mentioned before creative works can be a great outlet for anxiety, depression etc and is something that I would encourage others to do.
I think this is exactly right, Jade! Personally, I don't think a creative mind, in any way, causes anxiety or mental health problems; I think it works the other way round: a creative mind seeks ways to express itself, and particularly in a society where openly talking about mental health is still a taboo, creativity is the only way to fully express how you're feeling. You could never explain to someone and get them to understand the kind the emotions you are feeling in the same way 'The Scream' painting you've posted does, and provides an amazing outlet.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I think this is exactly right, Jade! Personally, I don't think a creative mind, in any way, causes anxiety or mental health problems; I think it works the other way round: a creative mind seeks ways to express itself, and particularly in a society where openly talking about mental health is still a taboo, creativity is the only way to fully express how you're feeling. You could never explain to someone and get them to understand the kind the emotions you are feeling in the same way 'The Scream' painting you've posted does, and provides an amazing outlet.
Very true Paul. I think trying to fully articulate mental health problem is an uphill struggle for both the suffer and the onlooker alike. Turning to creative outlets such as art gives society a much needed insight into the mind - in a way which is both accessible to all and not necessarily as heavy if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
J

Jade

Yes when I think about ‘ The Scream’ before I knew anything of it’s representation I always found it to be a rather haunting piece. I remember being in school and sitting in the art class room looking at this picture I thought it was some sort of demon or scary spirit and in a way it is a picture of the artist’s personal‘ demon’. It’s very interesting when you explore the meaning and history of art works especially the very well known paintings, this is something that always fascinated me in art college. Van Gogh’s last self portrait ‘Self-portrait with Bandaged Ear’ is another painting represented a struggle with mental illness.

"real painters do not paint things as they are... they paint them as they themselves feel them to be." Van Gogh

J

Jade

Very true Paul. I think trying to fully articulate mental health problem is an uphill struggle for both the suffer and the onlooker alike. Turning to creative outlets such as art gives society a much needed insight into the mind - in a way which is both accessible to all and not necessarily as heavy if you know what I mean.
That’s exactly right! If that artist was to try and sit down with a complete stranger and tell them about the feelings he was having it would make for an uncomfortable and confusing situation. When mental illness is represented through art it gains a sort of acceptance in a way and makes the projection of feelings much easier for the onlooker to digest.When you think about it it does make a lot of sense because so many people respond better to visual stimulation.

Mark

Mark

I would like to throw this into the mix - there is supposedly a fine line between "genius and insanity". Society dictates who we see as insane and who we see as a genius - but who says that society is right?

A nice deep thought for us to contemplate :)

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I would like to throw this into the mix - there is supposedly a fine line between "genius and insanity". Society dictates who we see as insane and who we see as a genius - but who says that society is right?

A nice deep thought for us to contemplate :)
Ha nice. The popular rapper, producer and all round eccentric Kanye West springs to mind. He's a polarising figure, regularly called a genius by some and insane by others.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Another deep thought for a Friday evening:-

There are many labelled insane today that would have been known as geniuses in years gone by - does society go around in circles?

J

Jade

Back in the 19th century artists like Van Gogh wouldn’t have been recognised as having a mental illness as this was an area that was completely misunderstood and often undiagnosed so people were probably unaware Van Gogh had any problem, it wouldn’t have been until later when people realised that Van Gogh had suffered with mental illness. I think that society does go round in circles but perhaps not in the way we think. Our attitudes and knowledge of mental health has changed over the years so hundreds of years back artists suffering with problems such as anxiety, bi-polar etc would not have been recognised or diagnosed and we wouldn’t have understood the repercussions of those problems. Now we know more as a society we are more accepting then we ever have been in regards to mental health and can understand conditions more due to the vast knowledge we have in that area. In this day and age we recognise artists that suffer with mental illness and applaud them not just for the appearance of their art but also the inspiration and meaning behind it.

Mark

Mark

Why are those with wealth and mental health issues often dismissed as eccentric in the newspapers? While those with no wealth but suffering from mental health issues are often looked down upon by society?

L

LynnyB

Can art and other creative outlets really help anxiety and phobias? Is it all about expression?