The line between having a phobia and being uncomfortable?

kelbel

kelbel

When do you think that feeling uncomfortable in social situations actually becomes a full blown phobia? I mean, if you felt uncomfortable in large crowds but it was manageable, at what point would you be called 'phobic'? Do you think it's only when avoidance starts? Or would it be based on the level of how uncomfortable you feel?

J

Jade

This is an interesting question because for me if I feel very uncomfortable over something I will usually try to avoid it so I don’t think that going to lengths to avoid something would class as a phobia for instance I hate gossip so will avoid someone who I know to be a huge gossiper or try and divert a conversion that’s turning gossipy but I’m not afraid of it if you see what I mean? I think the latter question is a more fitting answer but I still wouldn't describe any of my phobias as ‘ uncomfortable’, for me it’s so much more than that it’s pure fear and I find uncomfortable isn’t a strong enough word to describe how I feel towards the things I'm afraid of.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
It is a difficult question to answer but I think if it causes a "marked" physical or emotional change to you then it is classified as a phobia?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I think the line is crossed once an event or a situation takes both a physical and mental toll on your well-being - resulting in only fear. I think the feeling of being uncomfortable is quite tame when compare to that of a phobia.