Phobias and panic attacks

Mark

Mark

Personally I have suffered from phobias and panic attacks in the past and wondered if the majority of phobia sufferers also experience panic attacks? Is there a strong link between these two particular conditions and if so why and how are they connected?

J

Jade

Personally I have suffered from phobias and panic attacks in the past and wondered if the majority of phobia sufferers also experience panic attacks? Is there a strong link between these two particular conditions and if so why and how are they connected?
I know that panic attacks are strongly linked to stressful situations so it makes sense if phobias and panic attacks are connected. When I’m forced into a situation that puts me face to face with my phobia I’ll start to feel trapped or threatened which then causes me to hyperventilate and that will soon turn into a full blown panic attack.
So for instance say if someone is scared of spiders and you lock them in a room with a tarantula not being able to escape would could extreme terror and panic that would then trigger an attack.

Mark

Mark

I think you have hit the nail on the head, in many ways phobias are based upon a perceived lack of control. For example when I was driving recently I began to feel more anxious when the hard shoulder disappeared and I wondered where I would be able to park my car if a panic attack came on. The key to beating phobias and anxiety is taking back control – however this is not always easy.

J

Jade

Yes professionals recommend that you try and confront your phobia head on and try and ride out your panic attacks when they happen but whilst driving this isn't an option is it. I wouldn’t want to lose control behind the wheel it would be highly dangerous if I was to experience a full blown panic attack and I think it would be important to try and keep myself calm when I start to recognise the symptoms and just concentrate on finding a safe place to stop such as a lay-by or service station where I could gain control of the situation without the hazard of being on the road.