My heart goes out to those with a phobia of being sick

Mark

Mark

Thankfully this is not a phobia which I have ever experienced but I can imagine that the feeling brought on by a phobia of being sick would quite likely make people sick. Does anyone have any first hand experience of this type of phobia?

J

Jade

I’ve not suffered with a phobia of being sick but when I was a child as I explained in a previous post I suffered with being sick all the time through what the doctor’s thought was anxiety.I used to be very frightened of being sick but unfortunately i always was anyway.
I can imagine having a full blown phobia of being sick would be very unpleasant because being sick is something that happens envitably through our life time and even to someone who doesn't suffer with this phobia we all know that being sick isn't a pleasant experience

kelbel

kelbel

I know a girl who has emetophobia and she had to go to counseling for it. I also have a friend who hates being sick so much that it makes her cry. Being sick is so unpleasant that you can see why anyone would want to avoid it, but unfortunately we obviously can't if we're ill! For any of us with phobias we can choose to avoid or face, it must be a nightmare to have a phobia of something you can literally not avoid. I'd imagine this makes sufferers very wary of what they eat, drinking too much, picking up germs etc.

J

Jade

This makes sense. I guess that means emetophobia could trigger a number of other phobias such as :
Aeronausiphobia- Fear of vomiting due to airsickness.
Amaxophobia- Fear of riding in a car ( long journeys could cause travel sickness)
Mysophobia- fear of germs ( germs can cause vomiting)
Demophobia.-Being around large numbers of people will but you more at risk of catching a bug and getting sick.

I also imagine it would limit you to other activities in your life such as boat rides- incase of sea sickness, eating in resturants incase you contracted food poisoningand perhaps the most heart rending of all- worry during pregnancy due to morning sickness.

I wish anyone suffering with this phobia the best of luck in getting this fear under control.

Last edited: