Lack of sleep and anxiety

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I know for a fact that in the past my panic attacks and anxiety levels have been significantly impacted by a lack of sleep. Would it be right to say that a lack of sleep can and does have a massive impact on your anxiety levels? Does the traditional eight hours a night have a positive impact upon your ability to control your phobias?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

A good night's sleep is vitally important for helping to lower anxiety levels in my opinion. Waking up in a refreshed state of mind contributes to a much more positive mindset. With that being said other factors do come to play like diet and exercise for example, but sleep is an area that shouldn't be overlooked.

J

Jade

Well I know that sleep deprivation can severely impact those suffering with mental health and can in effect cause mental health problems in the long run so it obviously has very harmful effects on the brain. It’s actually been proven that anxiety and stress can be caused by a chronic adrenaline release in the brain which is something that also happens when we deprive ourselves of sleep. Its very important that anxiety sufferers get enough sleep to help them deal with their condition as best as they can.

Although I find that if I’m particularly anxious and worried I can’t sleep does anyone have any tips on how to get yourself to sleep under these conditions?

Mark

Mark

I find that when I am extremely tired I am more likely to suffer from anxiety and phobia issues. It seems that a tired state of mind takes away some of the mental strength to fight off these conditions. Does anyone else feel the same?

As for trying to encourage sleep, I was told:-

Don't watch TV in bed
No caffeine in the evening
No physical exercise at least a couple of hours before bedtime
Do not spend too much time in your bedroom as your brain should see the bedroom as a place of sleep

Any more ideas?

J

Jade

Yes and as I explained it is something physical in the brain also so it makes sense why it would make us feel this way. Lack of sleep can also make me very jumpy does anyone else find this? Anything silly can startle me and set my heart racing.

As for helping you to sleep I find it’s important to relax. Its an old one but I do think lavender helps. Taking a bath with lavender bubble bath or spraying lavender on your pillow encourages sleep as it’s meant to decrease anxiety and help with insomnia.