Is it true a fear of viruses is called Germaphobia?

F

Fightingback

Even before Covid-19 I had a fear of germs, viruses etc which led to me washing my hands at least 10 to 20 times a day even for the smallest reason. Is this a common phobia and reaction?

H

Helprequired

I think this type of phobia covers many different fears - all down to germs and infections I believe?

L

LynnyB

Will we see a fear of germs and bacteria when we finally come out of this nightmare? I think we will also see a huge increase in OCD related cleaning etc. The world will be a very different place in future and one in which we might just might appreciate friends and family a little more?

Mark

Mark

Unfortunately I think we will see an increase in this type of phobia as the long term risk of catching infections/viruses rise in the minds of sufferers. Whether the risk has actually increased is irrelevant.

G

Getting_There

I wasnt sure there was such a thing - is it not simply a form of OCD? Anyway, whatever it is, there will be a huge increase in sufferers once Covid-19 is under control and life starts, slowly but surely, to return to normal.