If phobias were physical conditions would people be more sympathetic?

Mark

Mark

There has long been a belief that if phobias were a physical condition, such as a broken arm, people be more sympathetic. It does seem as though many people dismiss phobias, depression, anxiety and other mental health issues because they cannot see any physical impact. However, if you ask sufferers how they feel you will get a very different story!

J

Jade

There has long been a belief that if phobias were a physical condition, such as a broken arm, people be more sympathetic. It does seem as though many people dismiss phobias, depression, anxiety and other mental health issues because they cannot see any physical impact. However, if you ask sufferers how they feel you will get a very different story!
Unfortunately people are not as sympathetic as they should be.

Acceptance of mental health has been getting better over the years but some people can still find it hard to understand the effects it can have on the sufferer.

Sometimes people can be ignorant because they don’t understand the condition.

What I found useful was to try and explain my feelings in depth to friends and family and I encouraged them to read up on the ins and outs of the condition itself to try and get a clear understanding of how it effected me.

Mark

Mark

Ignorance is the main challenge to fighting the stigma of mental health - progress is being made but it can be painfully slow!

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

That's a really interesting way of seeing things. I think through awareness campaigns, media coverage and forums like this. the stigma attached to mental illness will eventually fall. It's unfortunate that people are ignorant (or rather unaware) of mental health issues but that's down to a lack of education rather than their character in my opinion.

Unfortunately people are not as sympathetic as they should be.

Acceptance of mental health has been getting better over the years but some people can still find it hard to understand the effects it can have on the sufferer.

Sometimes people can be ignorant because they don’t understand the condition.

What I found useful was to try and explain my feelings in depth to friends and family and I encouraged them to read up on the ins and outs of the condition itself to try and get a clear understanding of how it effected me.
Your proactive approach towards encouraging your friends and family to learn more about mental health is awesome, I need to definitely follow your lead Jade.

Ghost.

J

Jade

That's a really interesting way of seeing things. I think through awareness campaigns, media coverage and forums like this. the stigma attached to mental illness will eventually fall. It's unfortunate that people are ignorant (or rather unaware) of mental health issues but that's down to a lack of education rather than their character in my opinion.
Your proactive approach towards encouraging your friends and family to learn more about mental health is awesome, I need to definitely follow your lead Jade.

Ghost.

Thank you Ghost and I'm glad you found this useful. What I think is interesting is that most people do suffer with a small phobia to some degree. When talking to family or friends I find it’s useful to bring up something that they are some what fearful of to help them reach that understanding. Remember many people you speak to will have has a mild phobia over something ( spiders, snakes, rats) and trying to engage them in a personal association with the feelings of phobia makes communication and acceptance of your personal phobia easier on both of you.

kelbel

kelbel

Ghost.
I've found that my family and friends understanding of my agoraphobia has grown over the years, as has my own. I think i've gradually become more open with taking about it and to be fair, they probably haven't known how to or when to bring up the subject! The times i have spoken about it, i've always chatted in an open and casual way which has usually encouraged a whole barrage of questions! Almost like they have been given a green flag by me to talk about it).

I used to get frustrated about their lack of empathy and understanding, but I don't judge people on that anymore. I have had negative responses from people in the past - but usually those who appear quite opinionated and ignorant about life's realities anyway, so not anyone I would want to be friends with ;)

My family have been amazing all the way through and my boyfriend is very supportive but he doesn't pander to my insecurities (as hard as that sometimes is for me, he's totally right that that's what i need). They have definitely often felt frustrated and confused with my condition, but i genuinely think it's something you will never totally understand unless you've experienced anxiety yourself.

I think we can often be seen as weak. But it's all of us who suffer with phobias and anxiety which effect our everyday lives that get up every day and face that anxiety, who are far stronger than people will ever know. Kudos to us! ;)

J

Jade

I think we can often be seen as weak. But it's all of us who suffer with phobias and anxiety which effect our everyday lives that get up every day and face that anxiety, who are far stronger than people will ever know. Kudos to us! ;)
You hit the nail on the head here! This is something I always think when I think people assume I’m weak because I suffer with anxiety and phobias. Until we are tested in life we do not see our true strength. People may think we are weak but it doesn’t matter what people think because we know the inner strength it takes to not give up and to be constantly battling our phobias and anxiety.

We may stumble and fall but shall rise again; it should be enough if we did not run away from the battle.
Mahatma Gandhi

Mark

Mark

Personally I think it is the stronger of us all who admit to any form of mental health issues - to me admission is not a sign of weakness, more a sign of strength to face things head on.

J

Jade

Personally I think it is the stronger of us all who admit to any form of mental health issues - to me admission is not a sign of weakness, more a sign of strength to face things head on.
I agree Mark. So many people worry about seeking help when they feel they are suffering from some form of mental illness and I imagine part of that is because they don’t want to be seen as weak which of course is not the case. I’ve done it myself, I’ve been stubborn in the past and when I’ve been offered help even by the doctor I’ve said no I’m strong I can deal with it myself but the truth is accepting help doesn’t make you weaker. I know that now and if I need extra help I will ask for it or take it if it’s offered.