I have a genuine fear of bees and wasps

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My fear of bees and wasps is something of a joke in my family, my mum seems to find it hilarious even though it is very real for me. Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to explain exactly what goes through my mind and why I have a genuine fear of bees and wasps. How can I put this into words?

What triggers my fear of bees and wasps?

I know exactly what triggers my fear of bees and wasps, it is the potential for being stung even though I was stung many years ago and it wasn't necessarily a big thing. The buzzing, flying around your head, I will literally run away from a table even if I am having lunch in a restaurant or pub. It looks as though I am doing some kind of dance but I can feel my heart pounding, and a genuine fear.

Was it something in the past?

The only thing I can think of is an incident many years ago when a friend at school fell into a hornets nest and he was stung many times - I didnt witness this. I don't see many hornets so I presume that I have translated this fear of hornets onto bees and wasps, which I see as really one in the same. After some words from a friend, I am now more relaxed around bees, wasps and other insects than I ever have been for many years. Hopefully this gets better and better and eventually disappears

It is not helpful when people make fun!

Next time you're making fun of somebody with a genuine phobia, whether wasps or bees, or anything else, remember, this is not their choice and it is not fun. I know with my fear of bees and wasps my heart is pounding, my head feels like it might explode and it genuinely gives me the fear.

Anxietysufferer

Anxietysufferer

I have a question - is your phobia related to your experience of being stung or hearing the story of your friend falling into a hornets nest?