How does life with a phobia suffer impact you?

Mark

Mark

I myself have suffered from an array of different phobias over the years although thankfully they are now under control and have a limited impact upon my everyday life. I would like to hear from those who live with phobia sufferers because I know phobias do impact the lives of close friends and family. In many ways those living with phobia sufferers have been missed out of the loop because this must be a very difficult situation.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

For me, social anxiety has pretty much reset my life. Things that I once never ever thought or worried about (for example going to the shops or a restaurant) are now daunting experiences. However it's not all bad, I'd definitely say I'm far more self-aware and empathetic as a result. It's both scary and exciting starting your life from scratch, but one I hope (and a lot of other suffers hope) can be overcome in time.

J

Jade

I don’t live with anyone with a phobia but I can realise how my phobias have effected my family. They have spent many hours assuring me when I start to worry about something. They worry about the effects this will have on my health so this can be a struggle for them. Family meals can also be a struggle because of my phobias with certain foods. I have to eat alone if they are having something I don’t like and can’t even prepare both our foods at the same time because I cant have that certain food anywhere near my meal. My mum has struggled with this since I was a child. For instance I used to have to come home from school during dinner time because I couldn't eat around the other children because of what they were eating.

It has been a struggle for them but they are very supportive and understanding which I’m very grateful for.

Mark

Mark

Anxiety and phobias are very difficuly to understand unless you have been through them but I take my hat off to those living with a sufferer as it must be very stressful at times. I know that during my tough times I appreciated the help and support of my family more than they will ever realise.

J

Jade

I think it’s safe to say anybody that loves you and cares about you will be willing to support you in difficult times. I’m forever apologizing to family and friends for pestering them when I’m worried and thanking them for their support when I start to become anxious. They just brush it off though and are more concerned about me getting myself in a state. What concerns me though is that my anxiety will bring them worry and concern for my health.