Eating disorders and phobia of eating

J

Jade

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32987228

This article has got me thinking about eating disorders and when they turn into crippling fears of gaining weight,eating and calories A lot of people that don’t understand this condition critisize these people and think they just need to stop being silly and just eat.It is so much more psychological than that unfortunately.
When I was at a very low weight my fear of eating is what stopped me from gaining.I had one friend that would look at me and jokingly say your too skinny go eat a pie!My fear of eating was more complicated then simply telling myself I’m underweight so I’m going to eat a big takeaway today.When people develop eating disorders or have a low weight due to phobias it’s not something that just goes away by uptaking their food intake. Many suffers have to break habits, rituals and try and conquer their fear with food to recover. Going back to this article I do agree pictures like this shouldn’t be used for commercial purposes because it can be triggering and a source of ‘ thinspiration’for those with eating disorders but removing these pictures aren’t going to prevent or cure an eating disorder.Professional and self help, along with councilling will be more effective then hiding underweight people from public view.