Does thinking about life on a cosmic scale bring you relief?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

A lot of times when I feel overwhelmed by life I tried to take a step back and view things from a cosmic level. The stark realisation that we are but a grain in the larger and seemingly infinite universe, makes my immediate problems seem inconsequential - bringing me a brief (but welcomed) sense of relief. Does anybody else get that?

J

Jade

That’s a good piece of advice and I’m going to try and think like that from now on. I thing about two things usually when I look at my problems from that perspective. I think how meager my problems are compared to some people in the world who have a very unfortunate life and everyday is a struggle to survive, that makes me feel more grateful and gives me a perspective on things. I also like to think that what I go through and the troubles I face are all part of the greater plan. It builds character and is just a hurdle in my life path.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

That’s a good piece of advice and I’m going to try and think like that from now on. I thing about two things usually when I look at my problems from that perspective. I think how meager my problems are compared to some people in the world who have a very unfortunate life and everyday is a struggle to survive, that makes me feel more grateful and gives me a perspective on things. I also like to think that what I go through and the troubles I face are all part of the greater plan. It builds character and is just a hurdle in my life path.
Those are both great spins on perspective Jade. I guess in a way we should count ourselves lucky to be in the situation that we're in; in terms of having food, clothes and loads of 'mod cons' most people take for granted. That being said, our struggles are no less real - just not a matter of life or death (even though in our minds it feels that way sometimes).

J

Jade

Those are both great spins on perspective Jade. I guess in a way we should count ourselves lucky to be in the situation that we're in; in terms of having food, clothes and loads of 'mod cons' most people take for granted. That being said, our struggles are no less real - just not a matter of life or death (even though in our minds it feels that way sometimes).
No our struggles are not trivial to us, but as I said looking at things from the prospective that we are fortunate for what we have can help keep up positivity. I believe keeping positive is very important when suffering from phobias or anxiety and just a good attitude to have about life in general.No I’m not saying adapting this attitude is going to cure you of your phobias but I believe positivity brings positive results and negativeness brings negative ones.Keeping positive is easier said then done of course but it is something everybody could benefit from.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Finding that energy, that drive , that resolve to be positive or at least seem happy is something I find difficult or rather conflicting. On one hand I can totally understand the reason behind doing it, but on the other It seems a little fake to me which goes against my personal philosophy. With that being said however, I will make a greater effort to try to adopt a more positive outlook rather than an overly logical or pessimistic one.

Last edited:
J

Jade

Finding that energy, that drive , that resolve to be positive or at least seem happy is something I find difficult or rather conflicting. On one hand I can totally understand the reason behind doing it, but on the other It seems a little fake to me which goes against my personal philosophy. With that being said however, I will make a greater effort to try to adopt a more positive outlook rather than overly logical or pessimistic one.
Well I’m a strong believer in positive thinking but if it’s something that doesn’t feel natural to you and makes you feel as though it’s being false then I suppose you can’t force it, you have to be yourself. It’s when you think these thoughts naturally that they really make a difference to you. But you could keep trying to gain this mindset and hopefully they will eventually become your real view on things. That’s my theory of it anyway :)

P

Paul1

On one hand I can totally understand the reason behind doing it, but on the other It seems a little fake to me which goes against my personal philosophy.
This definitely strikes a cord with me, I've found it really difficult to force positivity onto myself, it does feel really false. And like you say Jade, you should be comfortable and able to be yourself. I remember saying this to a therapist when I was doing CBT, she told me rather than to force positivity, try to think of alternatives to what ever attitudes/conclusions/thoughts etc. you may have throughout the day. I think she was trying to get me to question my negative thoughts, even if the alternative wasn't strictly positive, the idea to eventually brake that negativity. It does help me catch myself when I'm being negative.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

This definitely strikes a cord with me, I've found it really difficult to force positivity onto myself, it does feel really false. And like you say Jade, you should be comfortable and able to be yourself. I remember saying this to a therapist when I was doing CBT, she told me rather than to force positivity, try to think of alternatives to what ever attitudes/conclusions/thoughts etc. you may have throughout the day. I think she was trying to get me to question my negative thoughts, even if the alternative wasn't strictly positive, the idea to eventually brake that negativity. It does help me catch myself when I'm being negative.
What your therapist advised is quite interesting Paul and definitely worth a try. I just get frustrated with my mind constantly thinking and churning over old stuff, but I guess if there's a method to re-address the negatives then it's a step in the right direction.

P

Paul1

I just get frustrated with my mind constantly thinking and churning over old stuff
I do this too, and I really hate it! I've copied the following from the tips/techniques thread, which I had put on there yesterday, it's really helped me, it might be helpful to you, I don't know.... I got it from a CBT book...

I read a technique that's really helped me, I think a lot my anxiety problems came from negative thoughts and images coming in my head unbidden. I read that these thoughts are perfectly normal (seems obvious now!),but you have the option whether to engage with them or not, and that's where one of my problems was, I would engage with them and turn them over and over and inside out and, then, start the whole process all over again.

So the technique was to think of these thoughts/images, as they came in and out of your head, as a film reel passing in front of you; each image on the reel being a thought or image. The idea is to only stop and focus on the positive images (thoughts),allowing the negative ones to pass you by. An alternative was to think of them as a train, and as you stood at a train station, allow negative thoughts to come in and pass on through, without stopping.

This really helped me. For one it stopped me trying to prevent the negative thoughts, that were causing me so much distress, from entering my head... a losing battle! But it also (slowly but surely, it wasn't a quick fix!) helped me stop dwelling on and remunerating on the thoughts that caused my anxiety and panic attacks

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I do this too, and I really hate it! I've copied the following from the tips/techniques thread, which I had put on there yesterday, it's really helped me, it might be helpful to you, I don't know.... I got it from a CBT book...

I read a technique that's really helped me, I think a lot my anxiety problems came from negative thoughts and images coming in my head unbidden. I read that these thoughts are perfectly normal (seems obvious now!),but you have the option whether to engage with them or not, and that's where one of my problems was, I would engage with them and turn them over and over and inside out and, then, start the whole process all over again.

So the technique was to think of these thoughts/images, as they came in and out of your head, as a film reel passing in front of you; each image on the reel being a thought or image. The idea is to only stop and focus on the positive images (thoughts),allowing the negative ones to pass you by. An alternative was to think of them as a train, and as you stood at a train station, allow negative thoughts to come in and pass on through, without stopping.

This really helped me. For one it stopped me trying to prevent the negative thoughts, that were causing me so much distress, from entering my head... a losing battle! But it also (slowly but surely, it wasn't a quick fix!) helped me stop dwelling on and remunerating on the thoughts that caused my anxiety and panic attacks
That's an interesting way of doing things - reminds me a lot of mediation and how you're supposed to let your thoughts flow. Thank you for the advice Paul I'll have to try adopt this technique (especially at work).

J

Jade

That's an interesting way of doing things - reminds me a lot of mediation and how you're supposed to let your thoughts flow. Thank you for the advice Paul I'll have to try adopt this technique (especially at work).
Let us know how you get on Ghost because after reading Paul’s tips of the ‘ train station’ it’s something I keep telling myself I have to do. So many useful tips on this forum it takes me a while to get round to trying them all out haha :)