Does a lack of sleep help bring on panic attacks?

Mark

Mark

I am convinced that I am at my most susceptible to a panic attack when I have not been sleeping well. This often leads to me waking up anxious and the day can very quickly go from bad to worse and mood swings, well they can be frightening.

J

Jade

Hi Mark, it certainly does contribute to panic attacks and there is a scientific reason behind it that I have mentioned in a previous thread. The reason you feel worse is because lack of sleep causes a chronic adrenaline realise in the brain which is the same thing that happens when anxiety and stress levels kick in. So I suppose it’s a double realise of chronic adrenaline which is why people can experience panic attacks more frequently if their deprived of sleep.

Mark

Mark

That makes a lot of sense to me now Jade - thanks for the info. In many ways the key to a healthy life is sleep which not only refreshes you physically but also mentally. I think we sometimes under estimate the power of sleep?

Last edited:
Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I find it intriguing that many of the issues we discuss, such as a lack of sleep, are actual physical as opposed to mental problems. Physical problems should, in theory, be easier to resolve?

J

Jade

That makes a lot of sense to me now Jade - thanks for the info. In many ways the key to a healthy like is sleep which not only refreshed you physically but also mentally. I think we sometimes under estimate the power of sleep?
Your very welcome Mark. I think your right some people don’t realise the importance of sleep and how lack of it can contribute to a bad lifestyle. Getting enough sleep is very important for mental health as a severe deprivation of sleep can bring on depression and anxiety. I will say though it’s best not to think about the effects of lack of sleep too much when your trying to nod of because if your anything like me you’ll start to worry and that will stop you from sleeping anyway