Do people realise depression can be a killer?

Mark

Mark

Depression is something which has always been in the background but never really spoken about as many see it as a weakness. However, those who have not suffered depression have no idea what a terrible illness it can be. Make no mistake about it - if depression is not treated properly it can be a killer!

Sorry about the down beat tone of the post but I think people need to be a bit more sympathetic to those suffering from depression.

J

Jade

Unfortunately a lot of people don’t understand depression enough to realise how dangerous it can be. I’ve had my low days like most people but I’ve never suffered with depression but I imagine it would be very difficult. I think depression and mental health awareness has improved over the years but it still has far to go. I think the lack of understanding with depression is that people don’t see how that person can’t pick themselves up and ‘ get on with it’, so yes I agree some people do see it as a weakness. More awareness and education is needed to equip people with the knowledge of depression and other mental illness to help them understand what a depression sufferer goes through daily.

Mark

Mark

I had a bout of depression many years ago now and it makes my blood boil when today I hear phrases like:-

Oh, pick yourself up
Just get on with it
Stop feeling sorry for yourself

I was lucky it was only a short term bout of depression but those who suffer for years must feel desperate at times.

J

Jade

I had a bout of depression many years ago now and it makes my blood boil when today I hear phrases like:-

Oh, pick yourself up
Just get on with it
Stop feeling sorry for yourself

I was lucky it was only a short term bout of depression but those who suffer for years must feel desperate at times.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about phrases like these scream lack of understanding. Perhaps educating people about depression will not work entirely because unfortunately some people find it difficult to express empathy or understanding for something they can not relate too. If somebody is not prone to depression and they themselves are able to just ‘ get on with it’ then their maybe less likely to connect with the kind of feelings a depression sufferer experiences. Someone may not be able to comprehend the feeling of depression but kindness and mindfulness should still not be ignored, people should realise phrases like the ones you stated Mark are not acceptable or taking the persons feelings into consideration.