Beating my phobia of bleach

Mark

Mark

I have had a terrible phobia of bleach ever since I was young when my mam used to make us very wary of the damage it could do. However, the strangest thing happened the other day when I was cleaning the floor, picking bits off the floor after I had mopped and suddenly realised there was bleach on the floor but my phobia did not kick in!

Has anyone experienced a similar phobia?

J

Jade

That’s great Mark but it is interesting how you just seemed to have over-come your phobia of bleach by accident but it’s good non the less :). I wouldn't necessarily say it’s a phobia but I’m very very cautious with nail varnish remover and I think that stems down from childhood when I spilled some and got in trouble for ruining the varnish on wood. I also think of that incident when I use nail polish remover because I always think what would that do to my skin. I wash my hands over and over when I’ve used it and dispose of the cotton pad I used with it on and tie the bin bag up and take it straight outside. As I said I don’t think it’s a phobia as I still use it and washing my hands/disposing of varnish doesn’t bother me but I think it’s interesting to see the connections certain habits or phobias have with our childhood.

kelbel

kelbel

I would say it sounds like you're probably over the phobia, but maybe you still expect to have a phobic reaction out of habit? I think phobic reactions are essentially habits, bad habits that we need to break. If you actually thought about going and using some bleach your phobia would possibly kick in, but using bleach without thinking about it is great - i think that shows that you are really closer to being over that then you think :)

Beattheblues

Beattheblues

Sometimes it is easier to overcome difficult situations when you are not consciously thinking about them?

Mark

Mark

The mind is an extremely powerful tool and it just shows what we could do if we could switch it off at will.

G

Getting_There

You would be surprised to learn how many phobias can be passed down through families!

F

Fightingback

I had a simialr fear when I was younger although it didnt seem to disappear over time. Isnt it strange how we can sometimes pass a phobia down to our children without even knowing. The subconscious mind is a very powerful thing!

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Here is an interesting article about healthy and unhealthy fear:-

H

Helprequired

Are these phobias passed through DNA or just the way we act with our children?

F

Fightingback

In the same way we learn by copying our parents I think we can also inherit phobias this way?

Apparently a fear of chemicals such as bleach is called Chemophobia.

G

Getting_There

We learn from watching our parents from the day we are born so it makes sense that we might inherit some of their joys and fears?

L

LynnyB

This site is making me look again at how I act in front of my kids and grandchilden and how they learn from/copy adults.

H

Helprequired

What staggers me is the fact such a small and often seemingly irrelevant act many years ago can stay with someone through their childhood and into adulthood,. The brain is a very very strange but very powerful organ!

Anxietysufferer

Anxietysufferer

I have suffered from a phobia of bleach in the past - for some strange reason I think it is going to burn my hands and make my skin bubble - is this true or false?

Anxietysufferer

Anxietysufferer

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to share my success story in overcoming my phobia of bleach. For years, I had an intense fear of bleach, which caused me a lot of distress and limitations in my daily life. However, with determination and effort, I have managed to overcome this fear, and I want to share my journey with all of you.

My fear of bleach started when I was young, and I had a traumatic experience involving bleach. Since then, even the sight or smell of bleach would trigger panic attacks and extreme anxiety in me. It affected my ability to clean and disinfect my home properly, and I would go out of my way to avoid any contact with bleach.

But I knew that I wanted to conquer this fear and not let it control my life any longer. Here are the steps I took to overcome my phobia of bleach:

1. Gradual exposure: I started by gradually exposing myself to bleach in a controlled and safe environment. I would start with small amounts of diluted bleach and slowly increase the concentration over time, while also practicing relaxation techniques to manage my anxiety.
  2. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): I sought help from a therapist who specialized in phobias and anxiety. Through CBT, I learned to identify and challenge my irrational thoughts and beliefs about bleach, and replace them with more rational and realistic ones.
  3. Desensitization techniques: I used desensitization techniques, such as visualization and imagery, to gradually desensitize myself to the fear of bleach. I would imagine myself in a situation involving bleach and practice coping skills to manage my anxiety.
  4. Supportive network: I leaned on my supportive friends and family, who provided encouragement and motivation throughout my journey. They helped me stay accountable and provided a safe space for me to express my fears and concerns.
  5. Self-care: Taking care of my overall well-being was crucial in managing my phobia. I made sure to practice self-care, such as getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and engaging in activities that brought me joy and relaxation.
  6. Celebrating small victories: I celebrated every small victory along the way, whether it was being able to tolerate the smell of bleach without panicking or successfully cleaning with bleach. Celebrating these achievements helped to boost my confidence and motivation to continue facing my fear.
Today, I am proud to say that I have overcome my phobia of bleach. It was not easy, and it took time and effort, but I am now able to use bleach safely and confidently in my daily life. I no longer feel the overwhelming fear and anxiety that once controlled me.

I want to encourage anyone who may be struggling with a phobia to seek help and take small steps towards facing their fear. It's possible to overcome phobias with the right support, determination, and effort. Don't let your fear hold you back from living a fulfilling life.

If you have any questions or would like to share your own experiences, I'm here to support you. Let's empower each other on our journey towards conquering our fears!