Are Social Media Sites Good or Bad for Phobia Suffers?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

If we put social media sites like Facebook and Twitter under the microscope it's clear to see that they act as more than just hubs for conversation. Studies have shown strong links between social media sites and depression, so doesn't something need to be done about?

J

Jade

I personally don’t belong to any social media site as I don’t agree with them and I have reasons. As you touched on in a post before,It does seem like a competition of who can post the most exciting news, pictures etc. It’s also a potentially huge platform for bullying. The number of stories I’ve read about facebook and how some people have even taken their own lives because they couldn't stand the online abuse they were recieving. Yes I would like them stopped but the truth of the matter is that just isn’t going to happen. I think what is needed is stricter regulations and monitoring of these sites to ensure cyberbulling is put a stop to.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I personally don’t belong to any social media site as I don’t agree with them and I have reasons. As you touched on in a post before,It does seem like a competition of who can post the most exciting news, pictures etc. It’s also a potentially huge platform for bullying. The number of stories I’ve read about facebook and how some people have even taken their own lives because they couldn't stand the online abuse they were recieving. Yes I would like them stopped but the truth of the matter is that just isn’t going to happen. I think what is needed is stricter regulations and monitoring of these sites to ensure cyberbulling is put a stop to.
I pretty much agree with everything you say jade, however I don't think social media site should be stopped, I just think they should:

- Become less invasive. So stop trying to sell me things or advertise things I've recently searched.
- Be used as purely a communicative tool rather than a marketing and surveillance hub.
- Stop displaying 3rd party information like the conversation between your friend and some else you don't know.
- have better privacy settings and locks.

Realistically speaking, social media sites aren't going nowhere. Developers have a responsibility when making these sites just as much as users do using them. I think we need to re-think how we interact with social media and remember that this isn't a true reflection of life but a rather a 'hyper reality.'

J

Jade

I agree ghost and it’s a shame really that people feel they need to use Facebook and other social media sites to create as you say a ‘ hyper-reality’ of their life.The person doing this is obviously not entirely happy with their life and the people who read these spruced up posts and pictures aren’t left feeling very good about their life either. So what do you say then, should phobia and anxiety suffers stay away from social media or should they just take everything they see and read with a pinch of salt?

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I agree ghost and it’s a shame really that people feel they need to use Facebook and other social media sites to create as you say a ‘ hyper-reality’ of their life.The person doing this is obviously not entirely happy with their life and the people who read these spruced up posts and pictures aren’t left feeling very good about their life either. So what do you say then, should phobia and anxiety suffers stay away from social media or should they just take everything they see and read with a pinch of salt?
If I'm honest I was one of those people at one point. It wasn't until me and a few of my friends started to reflect upon what we doing and face up to true reality. In answer to your question, I think everyone (not just anxiety suffers) should just have more self awareness and awareness of the true nature of social media sites. The way in which they are designed only stands to breed feelings of jealously, depression etc if taken too seriously. There is no reason for anyone to feel less than any one else just because they haven't jumped out of a plane or traveled around the globe - have your own aspirations and goals. There's no need to be caught up anyone else's.

J

Jade

If I'm honest I was one of those people at one point. It wasn't until me and a few of my friends started to reflect upon what we doing and face up to true reality. In answer to your question, I think everyone (not just anxiety suffers) should just have more self awareness and awareness of the true nature of social media sites. The way in which they are designed only stands to breed feelings of jealously, depression etc if taken too seriously. There is no reason for anyone to feel less than any one else just because they haven't jumped out of a plane or traveled around the globe - have your own aspirations and goals. There's no need to be caught up anyone else's.
I agree and I’m glad you decided to review the whole mentality of Facebook and it’s competitiveness. It’s definitely a case of ‘ keeping up with the Jones’ I must admit I’m guilty myself of comparing my life and what I’ve achieved to others. But I want to completely stop doing that. I want to realise some people have different goals as you mentioned and when I really think about it I realise I don’t want those things that they have anyway. If the people have worked hard and achieved something I do want I should feel inspired to work harder within myself not feel jealous.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

I agree and I’m glad you decided to review the whole mentality of Facebook and it’s competitiveness. It’s definitely a case of ‘ keeping up with the Jones’ I must admit I’m guilty myself of comparing my life and what I’ve achieved to others. But I want to completely stop doing that. I want to realise some people have different goals as you mentioned and when I really think about it I realise I don’t want those things that they have anyway. If the people have worked hard and achieved something I do want I should feel inspired to work harder within myself not feel jealous.
You summed it up brilliantly Jade. If I'm honest however I know I'll have slip up's even though I know it shouldn't matter that I have haven't achieved the same success as someone else. Like you said, feeling inspired and driven to work harder to achieve your own goals is all that matters.

J

Jade

Yes we probably all have slip ups so don’t worry. Its almost like programmed human nature to compare ourselves to others. I imagine even people who have what others would class as a ‘ perfect’ life still have these feelings themselves towards others.
I do think competitiveness isn’t a bad trait to possess though. If we look at this in a positive light it can drive people to achieve highly but the whole point is when we have achieved what we have wanted and reached our goals we should feel self satisfaction and proud of our own personal achievements and the journey we went on to get them.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

Yes we probably all have slip ups so don’t worry. Its almost like programmed human nature to compare ourselves to others. I imagine even people who have what others would class as a ‘ perfect’ life still have these feelings themselves towards others.
I do think competitiveness isn’t a bad trait to possess though. If we look at this in a positive light it can drive people to achieve highly but the whole point is when we have achieved what we have wanted and reached our goals we should feel self satisfaction and proud of our own personal achievements and the journey we went on to get them.
I reckon you're right about us being programmed to compare ourselves with one another. It's just a frustrating habit I need to break. When it comes to sports-related competitiveness (for example),I find it's usually 'me' that I'm trying to beat rather than anyone else. I just need to translate that kind of approach into other areas of my life.

J

Jade

I reckon you're right about us being programmed to compare ourselves with one another. It's just a frustrating habit I need to break. When it comes to sports-related competitiveness (for example),I find it's usually 'me' that I'm trying to beat rather than anyone else. I just need to translate that kind of approach into other areas of my life.
Your like me Ghost, I’m a hugely competitive person to the point where I’m a nightmare to play sports with. I’m a big sore loser too. I also try and beat other people because and I think it’s because I like to be the best in what I do. I’m a little bit extreme in my competitiveness but having a competitive nature could help us in controlling our phobias. If we set ourselves targets we could try and ‘ beat’ our personal best. For instance if I think- I’m going to try not worry for an hour today. Then if I do it i’ll think the next day- ok it will be two hours today and I’ll be better than yesterday. Does that make sense? Is it something you’d try?