Anxiety and the need for control

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

The feeling of being out of control due to bouts of anxiety and panic attacks is a reality I find hard to handle. This has lead me to become more and more obsessive and rigid about the things I can control. Even though I fully realise this is a futile pursuit, it's one I feel compelled to do. Does anyone else feel like their phobia has strip them of their own power or rather self-control?

J

Jade

You know what Ghost I’ve felt like this many times and it has affected my self esteem before. What I think now is my phobias don’t strip me of my self -control but instead give me great practice for gaining control. My food phobias are a good example- going out to eat in a restaurant would be a normal and stress free thing for most people but if I want to go and sit in a room full of others eating I have take control of my phobia and gain self- control in that situation so I don’t flee out of the restaurant because it gets a bit too much if someones eating something on the next table I’m afraid of. As I and many others on this forum have said before people misjudge phobia suffers and see them as weak willed but I see that living with our phobias and trying to control them takes great strength and self control.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

You always manage to a put a positive spin on things haha - which is a good thing of course. Gaining or re-gaining that self control is like climbing a never-ending mountain - in my mind anyway. Finding that inner strength is the key and then finding a way to maintain that drive is also another thing entirely.

J

Jade

You always manage to a put a positive spin on things haha - which is a good thing of course. Gaining or re-gaining that self control is like climbing a never-ending mountain - in my mind anyway. Finding that inner strength is the key and then finding a way to maintain that drive is also another thing entirely.
Thanks Ghost :). I try my best to stay positive, it’s what keeps me ‘ sane’ haha. I try and keep a silver lining on things as it doesn’t make situations feel as negative.Inner strength is very important but sometimes it seems like a great struggle trying to achieve that especially on the days when you feel like you don’t have the energy to fight your anxiety. I do my best to maintain inner strength by focusing on goals, giving me something to strive for is a great motivator.