Why is arachnophobia so common?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
It is difficult to understand why arachnophobia, a fear of spiders, is so common in the human race but it is most certainly in the top 10 phobias. The reality is that only a tiny number of spiders are poisonous and let's face it humans are absolutely enormous if you are a spider!

We would be interested to hear from arachnophobia sufferers and how they see this particular condition. What brought it on? Why is it so common?

J

Jade

I like spiders myself, I love tarantulas and they don’t scare me at all. However my mum is petrified of them so I think that rules out hereditary connections in this case. I’ve read before that scientists link it to our ancestors that avoided spiders as a survival technique. Not sure I’m convinced by this myself. The obvious cause would be that as spiders are so common many people will get bit by one in their lifetime and they can leave a nasty bite. They are also quick and can appear from nowhere, some jump and they can easily drop from the ceiling. And as you say most species of spiders aren’t deadly poisonous I still think people link the danger of some spiders directly to this fear. Also lets not forget the saying/wife's tale that we eat so many spiders in our live time as we sleep. I think a number of these factors contribute to arachnophobia ( lets not forget the horror film of this either). I think its a mixture of direct experiences and media influence

Mark

Mark

Even the word tarantulas makes my skin crawl!

In reality what harm can the common household spider do? Tarantulas and larger spiders are a different matter altogether but it is strange that many people have a phobia of spiders without ever touching one.

J

Jade

I was watching a youtube video yesterday that got me thinking about arachnophobia. So this video was comparing something to a spider and popped in a picture of a big tarantula. I didn’t think anything of it myself because as I said before I’m not scared of spiders. When I did read the youtube comments like I usually do one woman was quite mad that this person had flashed a picture of a spider without warning because she was terrified of them and it had really set of her arachnophobia. So my question is what effect can an unexpected picture of a spider do to an arachnophobiasuffer and how does it make them feel? Could it trigger a panic attack just by seeing a picture of the creature?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I would be interested to hear from those who suffer from arachnophobia. Is it the fear of the spider itself? Is it the way they feel? Or is it a fear of being bitten?

KirstyMarks

KirstyMarks

I would be interested to hear from those who suffer from arachnophobia. Is it the fear of the spider itself? Is it the way they feel? Or is it a fear of being bitten?
It is a fairly common phobia. All I have worked with so far with this have actually learned it from their parents, or at least 1 parent has shown signs of their own distress. Do anyone have parents with this phobia?

Mark

Mark

My mum has a fear of spiders so you may well have hit the nail on the head here :)

I wonder how we as parents can do more NOT to pass on our phobias and fears to our children?

Anxietysufferer

Anxietysufferer

Today was a tough day for me. My spider phobia reared its ugly head again, and I found myself grappling with fear and anxiety. It's been a constant battle, and it's exhausting.

I woke up with a sense of unease, knowing that spiders could be lurking anywhere. I tried to shake off the feeling and go about my day, but the fear was always there, lurking in the back of my mind.

When I went downstairs to make breakfast, I spotted a small spider scurrying across the floor. My heart raced, and I let out a scream. My body went into panic mode, and I quickly grabbed a shoe and smashed the spider, feeling a mix of relief and disgust.

Throughout the day, I found myself constantly on edge, scanning my surroundings for any signs of spiders. Even the tiniest speck on the wall would send me into a frenzy of fear. I avoided going into certain rooms in my house where I had spotted spiders before, and I even skipped going into the basement, where I knew they liked to hide.

Is this normal? How can I tackle my fear?

L

LynnyB

Here are some techniques that worked and didnt work for me:-

Education: Learning about spiders can help dispel misconceptions and fears. THIS DIDNT WORK FOR ME

Gradual Exposure: Gradual exposure to spiders in a controlled environment can help desensitize you to the fear. THIS WORKED A LITTLE BUT WASNT THE ANSWER

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT is a therapeutic approach that can help identify and modify negative thought patterns and behaviors related to spiders. Working with a qualified therapist who specializes in phobias can help you develop coping skills and strategies to manage your fear. THIS WORKED FOR ME

Relaxation Techniques: Practicing relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, meditation, or progressive muscle relaxation, can help you manage anxiety and stress related to spiders. These techniques can help calm your body and mind, making it easier to face your fear. HELPFUL

Challenge Negative Thoughts: Identify and challenge negative thoughts related to spiders. Ask yourself if your thoughts are based on facts or irrational fears. Try to reframe your thoughts in a more rational and positive light. MADE ME FEEL WORSE

Seek Support: Talking to a supportive friend, family member, or therapist about your fear can be helpful. TALKING TO FELLOW SUFFERERS HELPED