Where do I start with Tonsurephobia a fear of getting my hair cut!

H

Helprequired

I would imagine I’m not the only person who suffers from a fear of getting their hair cut aka Tonsurephobia! Where do I start with my reasons to be fearful?

• Scared my hair won’t grow back
• Being ridiculed in public
• Scared the hairdresser/barber will make a mess

It actually takes me weeks to gather the courage to go and get my hair cut and it takes me at least 2 days to get over the event! Does anyone else have a similar fear?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I saw this interesting bit of advice:-

Another effective way of overcoming Tonsurephobia is to gradually desensitize oneself by looking at/handling tools used by the hairdresser.

F

Fightingback

Like many people I would guess, I have/had a fear of getting my haircut but thankfully I found a way to control it.

Identify and understand the root cause of your fear: For me this was a bad haricut and having to go into school/work the next day and people made fun of me. It might sound silly but embarrassment was my main concern.

Communicate with your hairdresser or barber: This might help some people but I didnt try it.

Use relaxation techniques: I used to talk about normal stuff with the barber/hairdresser and I found this took my mind of the fear, allowing me to relax a little more.

Challenge and reframe negative thoughts: It got to the point that my hair was so long that it was causing more concern than getting my haircut. So I reframed this in my mind to say this was just part of everyday life.

Reward yourself: I liked this bit!

G

Getting_There

Here is a list of the reasons why many of us have a fear of getting our haircut - it is very common and quite easy to control with different techniques.

1. Fear of change: For some people, getting a haircut can be stressful because it represents a change in their appearance. They may worry about how they will look with a new hairstyle or whether others will approve of the change. This fear of the unknown can trigger anxiety and stress.
  2. Past negative experiences: If someone has had a bad experience with a haircut in the past, such as a botched haircut or an unpleasant encounter with a stylist, it can create a negative association with haircuts and lead to anxiety or stress when facing another haircut.
  3. Self-consciousness: Sitting in a chair with a stylist focusing on their hair can make some people feel self-conscious. They may worry about their appearance, feel exposed or judged, and experience stress as a result.
  4. Sensory sensitivity: Some individuals may have sensory sensitivities, such as sensitivity to the sensation of hair being touched or the sound of scissors, which can trigger stress or discomfort during a haircut.
  5. General anxiety or phobias: People with generalized anxiety or other phobias may experience heightened stress during a haircut due to their overall anxiety levels or specific fears, such as fear of social interactions, fear of being judged, or fear of sharp objects like scissors.
It's important to note that everyone has different levels of comfort and discomfort with haircuts, and what may be stressful for one person may not be for another. If you find haircuts to be consistently stressful, it may be helpful to identify the specific reasons behind your anxiety and discuss them with a trusted friend, family member, or therapist for support and coping strategies.

F

Fightingback

There is an argument to suggest that tonsurephobia is as much a social phobia as a fear of getting your hair cut?

E

Elie12

Hello
Im with you sir for that one... I've faced that situation becouse having haircut can be stressfull as you have just said... Almost of people worry about the style of their own haircut. But I'm telling you this guys, the stress can be deleted, for Flowers.. mainly, we can reduce that stress..

Somebody has solution?? How do you think??

Thankss