What triggers a fear of thunder and lightning?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
There is no doubt that a fear of thunder and lightning, also known as astraphobia, is very real and can be terrifying, but what is this fear based upon? While lightning itself can be dangerous in extreme circumstances the reality is that you will never be hit by lightning so why are we so scared? Some scientists believe this fear of the thunder and lightning can be traced back to the early days of evolution and our inbuilt fear of loud noises.

J

Jade

I’ve read that Astraphobia may be due to a past event where the sufferer may have experienced an electric shock or has a fear of flooding. I can’t say for sure as I don't suffer with this phobia myself but I agree completely that the noise of the thunder can be a major factor in this phobia.Media and books may also play apart in this phobia again if we consider how many horror’s or thrillers use the use of thunder and lightening for effect- so maybe sufferers connect it with some sort of doom or dangerous situation.

Mark

Mark

That is an interesting comment, are some of our phobias and anxieties brought on by subliminal messages which we don't necessarily acknowledge that our brains do?

J

Jade

That is an interesting comment, are some of our phobias and anxieties brought on by subliminal messages which we don't necessarily acknowledge that our brains do?
I think that is the case sometimes but I’m thinking how great it would be if subliminal messages could be used for something good after reading about this experiment-

‘A Harvard study from 1999 employed a similar method to Vicary's -- subjects played a computer game in which a series of words flashed before them for a few thousandths of a second. One set got positive words like "wise," "astute," and "accomplished." The other set got words like "senile," "dependent," and "diseased."Despite the fact that these words flashed far too quickly to be consciously perceived, those who received positive words exited the room significantly faster than those who got negative words.’

If subliminal messaging is used and is effective in advertising or films then I think this could possibly work helping to keep phobias under control rather then contributing to them. I think they’re some CDs that do this but what about if this was put out on a larger scale like through films, TV programmes or TV adverts? It’s doubtful this will happen but hypothetically what does everyone think the outcome would be? A huge advance in phobia control or not?