Social anxiety and confidence

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The terms social anxiety/social phobias cover an array of different conditions although there is a feeling that many of these conditions are linked directly to a person's confidence. If you are nervous, if you are concerned and if you are anxious there is more likelihood that you will experience social anxiety which could perhaps emerge as a panic attack. However, as your confidence grows are you able to control your social anxiety and the array of different phobias this entails?

We would like to hear from those who have suffered from or continue to suffer from social anxieties and how their best cope with the condition.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

As a 24 year old battling with social anxiety I know all too well the hurdles suffers face from day to day. The euphoric highs of a good day and the crippling week that follows one bad one. I genuinely believe tackling anxiety head on is the best way of dealing with it. That doesn't necessarily mean throwing yourself into a completely overwhelming situation, instead take gradual steps and set yourself attainable goals. Through completing these goals your self confidence will naturally increase and your anxiety levels fall.

pixie10

pixie10

After many years of suffering with anxiety, I've also come to the conclusion that tackling it head on is the most effective. Harder, but definitely more effective. After all, it's when you start avoiding situations that you are just compounding the problem (telling your subconscious that you have a genuine and rational reason to fear something). What do you class as a 'gradual step'? I'm interested because sometimes I've felt like I've taken quite a big step (for me),then when i've told my boyfriend or a family member you can tell they don't think it's anything spectacular. Quite frustrating! :(

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I totally agree with all of the above comments - a number of small steps and challenges take you further and further away from your fears. However, I think we all have to be careful about trying too much too quickly as this can undo some of the progress made. I know this feeling to my own cost having tried to go back to work too early, parking up in the car park and physically not being able to get out of the car. I had to go home and this really knocked my confidence.

This is a very interesting article:-

http://phobiasupportforum.com/exper...tance-mindfulness-can-be-helpful-for-anxiety/

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

After many years of suffering with anxiety, I've also come to the conclusion that tackling it head on is the most effective. Harder, but definitely more effective. After all, it's when you start avoiding situations that you are just compounding the problem (telling your subconscious that you have a genuine and rational reason to fear something). What do you class as a 'gradual step'? I'm interested because sometimes I've felt like I've taken quite a big step (for me),then when i've told my boyfriend or a family member you can tell they don't think it's anything spectacular. Quite frustrating! :(
Hi Pixie10, a gradual step could be anything really, it all depends on your own personal circumstances. For example, a person who finds crowded streets really bewildering, could try walking less busy streets - gradually 'upping the ante' as he/she becomes more comfortable and confident.

In your case, I think you should be very proud of yourself. The fact that you're willing to step outside of your comfort zone and challenge your anxiety shows that you're a strong and capable person. But I will also say that unless your boyfriend/family members have suffered from anxiety (to the same degree),it's harder for them to comprehend your struggles/victories. However in no way should you feel disheartened, just keep going!

Mark

Mark

That one small step that you take tomorrow could be the one which lets you take a bigger step the day after. I have made the mistake of trying to do too much in one go and it put me back a few months in my recovery schedule.

J

Jade

Hi Pixie I imagine that could be quite frustrating but try and remember that when your boyfriend or family don’t seem as excited as you are for doing something that was quite difficult for you it’s not out of lack of empathy. As ghost said it will be harder for them to understand how pleased you are with your achievement because they don’t share the same feelings of anxiety as you do. You could try and explain to them how difficult it was for you and why your pleased you managed to take that step or you could just enjoy your personal feelings of proudness. Achievements or goals aren’t measured on anyone else’s expectations but your own. If you think you have took a big step then you have!! If you do want to share your achievements and want to get the recognition come and share with us on the forum. So many of us on here will be able to appreciate the steps you took and how difficult it was to overcome it because we would have been through similar experiences ourselves.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think part of any recovery plan also needs to see YOU taking control of what you do, when you do it and how quickly you move the process forward. Confidence is one of the major keys to recovery - at least in my mind. When I feel confident I feel as though I can take on the world.

J

Jade

I couldn’t agree more. I believe you need to have the confidence in yourself to be truly successful in your recovery. I believe that when you are majorly lacking self confidence it’s difficult to get that motivation to help yourself because you are so adamant you will fail. Confidence building is very important to build feelings of self worth as well as teaching yourself to believe in yourself and that you are capable of succeeding.

Beattheblues

Beattheblues

Confidence breeds confidence - once get over that first hurdle you are off and running :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Anxiety, depression and phobias can have a massive impact upon your confidence. Unless you are able to tackle these issues head-on can it become a self-fulfilling prophecy with lower confidence and self-esteem increasing your anxiety, depression and phobias which then lowers your confidence and self-esteem even more. We all have different pain thresholds, we all have different strengths but rest assured there will come a time when you will battle back, you will fight the fight and you will beat anxiety, depression and phobias.

Only then will you look back and feel proud of yourself.

G

Getting_There

In my experience social anxiety is often a major part of many different phobias - as sufferers will know you rarely get just one phobia where anxiety is involved!

I find it is a case of taking small steps forward, and even some steps back, to keep moving forward, gaining more and more control over your phobias. If you can unlock your anxiety then you have every chance of unlocking your phobias.