Is Coronaphobia a concern for you?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
The last few days have seen a significant increase in talk of Coronaphobia with many people expressing real concerns about leaving the house. While it is inevitable that people will be concerned about the ongoing risk of contracting the virus, could this be a serious mental health issue going forward?

From a personal point of view, while I will embrace the enhanced freedoms coming our way in the short to medium term I will still social distance and be very careful of the third parties with whom I mixed with. We have a number of people in our family who have health concerns and there is a need to protect them at least in the short to medium term. Would I class this as a form of Coronaphobia? Not sure, it will depend on how bad it gets. I will keep you updated!

L

LynnyB

This will be an absolutely huge problem in the days, weeks and months ahead. The real issue is the fact that a vaccine could be months if not years away and even then how long will it take to vaccinate the world? The UK government is going to have to manage the way in which people live for some time to come and this means putting in place mental health services for those who are struggling. We really are "in this together" because we entered lockdown together and we will leave together. We all need to stick together!

F

Fightingback

Is there a real difference between a phobia and a genuine fear? Personally I think the threat of the coronavirus is a real fear as opposed to a phobia just seen as a "unlikely fear". Or perhaps, is the coronavirus issue not as dangerous in the future as many would have us believe?