Is begin scared and having a phobia of something different?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Is being scared of something and having a phobia of something different or the same?

Beattheblues

Beattheblues

Is being scared in your mind while a phobia is a medic al/physical reaction to a situation? Thats the way I understand it.

H

Helprequired

Interesting question - is there an official medical ruling on this?

H

Helprequired

Interesting definition on Google:-

"Physical reactions and sensations, including sweating, rapid heartbeat, tight chest or difficulty breathing. Feeling nauseated, dizzy or fainting around blood or injuries. In children, possibly tantrums, clinging, crying, or refusing to leave a parent's side or approach their fear. "

L

LynnyB

They are very very different things and mixing them up can make a difficult situation even worse. We all have fear, fear is good as it warns you of REAL danger. It is when the danger is non-existant or on a far lower level than your brain thinks that it becomes a phobia.

Mark

Mark

Do any of you use medication to "take the edge off" phobia episodes?

H

Helprequired

While medication can help some people I think it should be seen as more or a one-off/short-term help. Very dangerous to get dependent on medication to fight a phobia - in my view.

L

LynnyB

While I have experienced my own phobias and anxiety through life I have never taken any medication to "take the edge off". My fear would be getting used to the medication to the point it became a crutch for tackling my phobia - and even to the point where it became another issue for me to cope with.