Important article on OCD

J

Jade

http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/0...ve-obsessive-behaviors-or-thoughts/68281.html

I found this article and thought I’d share. I think information like what is covered in this article is vital to the feelings of OCD sufferers. As with many phobias and illnesses of any kind its always encouraging to know you are not alone or any ‘different’ to anybody else. Feeling ‘normal’ and accepted in society is important for your own self to accept any problems or conditions you might have and feel no shame because of it. Nobody should feel like an outcast or singled out because many people experience the same feelings as you everyday. Its important to remember this when your self esteem is at an all time low because of your OCD or any other phobia you suffer with. We are not alone!

Mark

Mark

I think the more we are all able to talk about phobias and anxiety in the open the more helpful this will be and lift the stigma of mental health issues. The vast majority of people will suffer some form of mental health challenges in their lives at some point although the majority will suffer in silence when it can be so so different.

J

Jade

Mark your right it does need to become more accepted because it really is nothing to be ashamed of and is more common then we may realise. I bet most people can name one person they have known throughout their life that has suffered with mental health in some way. Yes our understanding and recognition of mental illness is a far cry away from the insane asylums of the 19th century or the ‘ miracle cure’ lobotomy of the 40s but there is still room for more development and further acceptance.

GH0STP03T

GH0STP03T

An open and frank discussion is definitely what is needed here along with the rest of mental health issues. The government needs to address not only the symptoms of mental health but the root causes also. With that being said, I think we need to make a collective effort as a society to change our approach, attitudes and treatment of mental health in order to build a brighter future for everyone. The very fact that most people can name at least one or two people who they know or have known to have suffered from a mental illness just emphasizes the importance of the issue.

J

Jade

I agree Ghost and it’s not just for those currently suffering from mental health problems but it’s also worth noting that even somebody who has no history of mental illness can suffer a breakdown under enough stress. Open discussion about mental illness could be potentially important for everyone and could be a way of arming the public with information so if they were to develop a problem with mental health in the future they would be prepared.