I have a compulsive fear of misspelling

Mark

Mark

Does anyone else have a compulsive fear of misspelling? At its worst it can "force me" to re-read an article a number of times. The annoying thing is that 99.99% of the articles which I reread have no spelling mistakes. The introduction of a comprehensive spellchecker on Word has significantly reduced the number of times this particular phobia emerges!

J

Jade

Although I don’t suffer with this when I’m writing something like a letter I do have a trick i can share with you. Apparently you are more likely to miss spelling mistakes when you reread it because you know what you intended to say/spell and your more likely to over look it especially if you have written all the paragraphs in the same font and size ( as everyone probably does). The trick is to change the size and font of the paragraphs slightly so your eyes are registering more to what you have wrote so you won’t have to keep re-reading because you'll instantly pick up any spelling mistakes. I don’t know if this will be of any use to you as you did say the word checker has helped a lot but I still thought it would be worth sharing.

Mark

Mark

Ah very interesting :) I will try that. You are right though, if you are not careful your mind can see what you want it to see.