How long did it take you to tell somebody about your phobias?

F

Fightingback

Telling somebody about your phobias is a huge step on your road to recovery/control. While sometimes your phobias can be extremely visible this is not always the case. So, how long did it take you to mention the fact that you suffer from one or more phobias?

Unfortunately, while it will depend upon the type of phobias you have I am not sure that everybody would be able to live with an extreme phobia suffer. However, for many people this can be the spur they need to take action and receive the appropriate advice/help.

H

Helprequired

Firstly I made my other half aware of my phobias as and when I experienced them so that we could effectively "experienced them together". I did lean on her quite a lot for support in the early days which was much appreciated and helped save me from what could have been a very different life. I don't think you can put a timetable on telling your partner about your phobias otherwise it becomes too robotic and not natural.

L

LynnyB

In reality it is probably best to tell the person in your life sooner rather than later before they become obvious. The whole concept of a phobia is the fact that when you face your fears you will overcome by a physical/emotional reaction which you can't control. In some instances this may surprise and upset your partner so, it is probably best to let them know sooner rather than later.

F

Fightingback

Sometimes if you keep your phobias as a "dirty secret" it makes it even harder to be honest and upfront and can actually make it more difficult to control your phobias.