Holidays

Does your travel phobia restrict you to taking holidays only within your own country?

• Total voters
kelbel

kelbel

Hi guys,

I'm an owner of the site and we are interested to see how your travel phobia effects the holidays you take.

Are you still able to travel abroad but use alternative modes of transport (taking a boat instead of flying for example?).

We'd love to hear exactly what it is that makes travel difficult for you, as we may feature a holiday section in the future that helps address some of these issues. We're always looking for ways to improve the lives of phobia and anxiety sufferers (myself included - getting on a plane is the next big test for me this year because of my agoraphobia). :)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I find that my historic fear of enclosed spaces has in the past impacted my ability to board a plane in a calm state of mind. It is bizarre because up until a few years ago I used to love plane journeys - indeed the first journey I ever had was to Dublin and the turbulence was terrible but I was not at all scared. It is bizarre how the mind works.

pixie10

pixie10

Flying is a massive issue for me - definitely because of the enclosed spaces issue. It's not like getting over any other type of travel anxiety where you can challenge yourself a little bit at a time (like taking a bus for a just a couple of stops initially) - when you get on a plane, it's all or nothing. When the door's closed and you take off you can't ring a bell and ask to get dropped off lol. It's that aspect of it that scares me the most. If there wasn't anyone on the plane I don't think I would be so scared, but it's more about panicking in front of other people and feeling self conscious / like an idiot. It's so hard to switch those sorts of thoughts off.

Mark

Mark

Personally I think that claustrophobia and a fear of flying are very closely linked. Indeed, sometimes I am not sure whether my real phobia is claustrophobia or indeed a fear of flying. Does anyone else have similar experiences?

S0ph13

S0ph13

My fear of flying is not so much concentrated on the enclosed space but more that I over think to an excessive amount.
I think myself into a state by thinking about the height and that the plane is not attached to anything - There is nothing to stop the plane from falling out of the sky. And with waiting times and long haul flights there is just far too much time to think.

I find that flying with others, especially with someone more anxious than me actually helps as my need to protect them and make them feel ok takes over and distracts me. I also think knowing how much longer we are in the air for makes me feel like I'm in a little more control and gives me a little more comfort.

pixie10

pixie10

My fear of flying is not so much concentrated on the enclosed space but more that I over think to an excessive amount.
I think myself into a state by thinking about the height and that the plane is not attached to anything - There is nothing to stop the plane from falling out of the sky. And with waiting times and long haul flights there is just far too much time to think.

I find that flying with others, especially with someone more anxious than me actually helps as my need to protect them and make them feel ok takes over and distracts me. I also think knowing how much longer we are in the air for makes me feel like I'm in a little more control and gives me a little more comfort.
I definitely agree that having someone with you is more anxious than you is a great distraction! Because you have to rationalise with them to try and help them feel better, that has a positive effect on you too. If only we could always fly with someone worse than us! lol

S0ph13

S0ph13

There should be an app that pairs us up nervous flyers! ;)

Mark

Mark

That is certainly something to consider for the future!

Maybe the forum should look at some kind of "buddy" system, when it is busier, giving sufferers someone to turn to when they are struggling?

S0ph13

S0ph13

That would actually be a brilliant way of doing things - I think we have just revolutionised flying! ;)

J

Jade

There should be an app that pairs us up nervous flyers! ;)
That’s a great idea but don’t you think that pairing two people with a fear of flying could allow them to feed each others fears? It would be useful in that you’d both be sharing the shame feelings and fears so you’d be able to relate to each other but part of me does think when it comes to phobias sometimes you do need someone unaffected by the same phobia as you to be the voice of reason.

kelbel

kelbel

Well i've finally bit the bullet and just booked an all inclusive holiday to Fuerteventura in September! A 4 hour flight! I thought, well, if i'm going to do this i might as well go somewhere amazing and make the most of it. I'm excited about the holiday and trying to ignore the flying bit at the moment! I think there might be a trip to the bar first for a bit of dutch courage o_O My mother in law works in aviation and she has some great tips on helping nervous flyers - most of which include distraction techniques.